What's new

SVS 16-46PC SW is in the RAF House - A Review (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Paul said:
Tom,
You're welcome. And feel free to use any part of the review on your web site or whatever.
Here's a true story you'll appreciate. In the (seemingly) neverending renovations to our home (still living out of boxes as the new kitchen and some other stuff is completed) I was listening to some music today when the contractor who was setting tile for the kitchen backsplash asked me if I could hold it down for 24 hours or so. It seems he was concerned that the low frequency energy might cause some of the tiles to move before they set in place! An unexpected side effect to owning an SVS! ("SVS" = "sound versus setting??)"
biggrin.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Bob,
Congrats on your SVS 46/16c sub. Excellent review!
Recently I wound up getting EIGHT SVS model 46/16 subs (unamplified). Why so many? Well, long story but suffice to mention I wanted to attain: lots of air moving capability, very high output, great impact in the 20-60 Hz. area, high power handling capacity, very low frequency extention...at fantastically low prices (try this with other comercial brands!). The SVS subs fill the bill in spades; they're stunning bass reproducers!
I've only tried four of the 4/16s thus far and must say output levels can be right down scary! Just imagine what will be like when all eight units are operating in unison. Got the last pair in prior to leaving for work today, so will be trying the subs over the weekend. Looking foward to that with eager anticipation... :)
-THTS

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Frank,
If possible, I (and others I'm sure) would love to see some pictures of this setup and maybe some SPL measurements.
Kevin

Mike Emery

Auditioning
Hey Frank!
Does the term "Tunguska" mean anything to you?
wink.gif

I hope you're nowhere near a fault line! You could trigger The Big One!

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Stacy,
Already did! :)
Mike,
Yup...I live smack on top and middle of the San Andreas Fault in San Bernardino County. When the "Big One" hits, you will definitely know why! :) :)
Kevin,
I've got a lot of work to do in the HT room (complete engineering a ceiling mount/hushbox contraption for the Dukane Pro Image 9015 D-ILA projector/Isco anomorphic lens combo to enable variable throw distances, which has top priority. Have to get that costly digital projector up on a safe place!) before I can attempt taking SPL measurements and even equalization, but am contemplating the idea of perhaps asking Terry C if he would be interested in coming over sometime soon and run some for me. It would be terrific if Terry were to conduct the tests as he is well versed in that art. I guess I could attempt running some, but don't trust my skills!
As for pics, perhaps only the HT room (nothing to brag about) because the subwoofers are hidden, located in a corner along the 16 foot wide wall behind the 12 foot wide "scope" screen/black curtains arrangement and cannot be seen. I'll be glad to do so if I can borrow a digital camera (maybe I sneak the boss' Sony digital thingy and take a few!)... :)
-THTS

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
RAF...congrats! I knew the SVS would sound great, Im interested in how much improvement there was in your soundstage when you moved the speakers forward.
Nice set-up. If Im ever in the area, im gonna be paying you a visit.
biggrin.gif
(and vice-versa my friend)
Mike

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
RAF,
Great review! Your HT begins to reach near-perfection! Nice to read about the great job they're doing at SVS. But what struck me mostly..
..and the short of it was that my son inherited a very nice subwoofer (where he had none before) and I decided to purchase an M&K MX-350thx ...
..was the thought of all those sacrifices true parents and loving fathers have to make.. the altruism, the endless tendency to truly efface ourselves.. :) :) - only to be met by bad jokes about our age. Endless loops, you bet!
wink.gif

Cees

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
RAF,
I choose not to by-pass the SVS crossover and set the dial to a 50Hertz crossover. I also set the phase shift to 0 degrees as a starting point, assuming that there would be little phase cancellation if the two subwoofers were not working on the same general range of frequencies.
It will be my attempt to see if the SVS subwoofer will work well for the above settings with an M&K MX150.
Paul
------------------

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Cees said:
Paul,
I think you will be very, very pleased with the 16-46PC and that it will complement your M&K MX150 quite nicely. Since the M&K MX-350 supposedly has a better lower end than the 150 the SVS might even be a better fit and you'll notice a greater improvement than I did. Without looking at the specifications, I'm willing to bet the 350 holds its own down to about 30Hz cleanly whereas the 150 probably begins to lose it about 10-15Hz higher in real terms. Therefore, setting the SVS 16-46PC to handle everything below 50Hz will fill the gap better for you than for me. And, of course, with less competition for the same frequencies from the two subwoofers, your phase problems (not that I have any that I can sense) will not even be an issue.
Please keep us up to date when you get your unit.
Take care, gang.
(How about my Yankees!)
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
RAF,
Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, is great to be insane...about sound, ain't it? :)
As for the eight SVS 46/16s, managed to connect them 4x4 to the existing power amp in a stereo configuration (no LFE .1 channel tests yet) over the weekend. All eight are placed in ONE corner of the room behind the screen, as indicated in my previous post. They are crossed over to the main full range, 4-way speakers (set to run "large" on the Lexi pre/pro) at 60 Hz, 24db/oct. slope rate. This area needs further experimentation.
The only DVD I tried with this latest set up was The Patriot, which has one of the most holographic and expansive soundtracks I've heard thus far. But the black powder cannons blasts were what sounded as if one was transported to the battlefields themselves! The whole HT room was energized with bass signals as I've never heard before. My previous large Isobarik-loaded subs simply lacks the balls to produce such bass depth and output.
Had a couple visitors along with my daughter, so had to be somewhat conservative with SPLs (most women hate loud sounds; my ex did anyway :)), yet the output being generated by the 46/16s was scary enough even at such moderate levels to cause visitors to jump out of their seats! And everyone kept looking behind them seeking to see large bass boxes which could account for the powerful cannon blasts being heard in rear pans, but all they saw were the four small center rear and rear surround speakers (another pair provides side surround signals). He, he, he :) An amazing sound mix and feat of psychoacoustics if I ever heard one. Phew! Glad I survived this one... :)
BTW, I have placed the main R & L speakers way out into the room and toed-in, enough away from sidewalls as an unobstructed vision of the 12 foot wide cope screen allows. This aids in providing a soundfield wave launch that often exceeds the boundaries of the speaker cabinet edges and is very wide. The center channel speakers (two) are located farther back and almost below the screen...firing upwards by about 5-7 degrees.
I followed Peter Montcrief's "dictum" on how to place speakers in a multi-channel set up (much like a horse shoe), which seems to work quite good, although this area also merits further experimentation as well.
I am looking forward to read more of your reviews and pearls of wisdom in the future with great interest. Cheers!
Frank J Manrique/The Home Theater Society

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Gregory,
As soon as I can peg the "boss" down long enough to swipe his Sony digital camera/camcorder for one night of pic's taking, I'll be glad to do so. Hopefully I can get it working good enough to post some pics of the set up (here again, nothing fancy...just "functional" :) ).
Can anyone fill me in as how to post the pics from the floppy disc once pics are taken? I ain't too hip when it comes to 'puters, so help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!...
-THTS

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Can anyone fill me in as how to post the pics from the floppy disc once pics are taken? I ain't too hip when it comes to 'puters, so help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!...
frank,
As long as you have some place on the web to store the actual images, go into my original message in this thread as though you were going to EDIT it (you won't be allowed to, of course, but at least you can see how I referenced the images) and follow the syntax I used for my pictures in that messages (substituting the location of your pictures of course.)
If you don't have access to web storage I'll bet Packy or someone else can help out. There are many sites on the web now where you can get server space for free. I'm just not up on their exact names since I use my web storage through my AT&T Worldnet account (60 Megs included in a basic subscription).
Hope some of this helps. You are truly audiophonically unstable and one of my heroes! Those redwoods are going to start toppling over soon!
laugh.gif

------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
RAF,
Thanks a bunch for the 'puter pics matter information!
I'll see what I can come up with...
Bob, won't that be one heck of a feat for the eight SVS 46/16s subs to accomplish? I live nearer Palm Springs (in Southern California) than the area where the redwoods are located (Northern California)...hundreds of miles away! On the other hand, I do reside right on top of the San Andreas quake fault!! :) :) Now, where is that 2000 watts amp...
-THTS

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
? I live nearer Palm Springs (in Southern California)
frank,
Whoops! My mistake. I should know better. I have passed by your area many, many times (I drive out to see my brother in L.A. at least once a year when I am am visiting friends in Tucson) and I confused "Redlands" with redwoods. (Been up near Eureka many times, too, so that's no excuse.)
A senior moment, I guess. Or maybe the SVS is rattling my brain.
laugh.gif

------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
RAF,
No problemo! I really got a kick out of your post, and was widely grinning while imagining how ironic would be if a small earthquake actually occurred during a highly spirited and enthusiastic playing session with the 46/16s!
Perhaps I move to the redwoods area after I retire in a few years from the electrical utility I've worked for the last 30+ years. Or better yet...move close enough to the Skywalker Ranch to bother George Lucas while producing very loud bass on daily basis! :)
-THTS

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I was informed by a member that this thread had somehow had its links messed up so I am posting this to see if the reply takes.
Hopefully, all is now well here.
Happy Thanksgiving, all.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks