What's new

SV20-39CS+ vs. SV16-46CS (1 Viewer)

Jami Bradley

Auditioning
I have been having fun getting back into audio (it's been 20 years - a few things have changed!). I am looking forward to getting a subwoofer for a 5.1/6.1 setup. I love the concept of the SV subs, and it sounds like they are a great way to go.
I really enjoy the low frequencies, so I would like to get as low as I can (in a budget). I don't plan to listen to anything at reference levels (I'm not sure if I'm up to calibrating at reference levels either!), so I don't need huge output. The room this will be used in is about 13x15x7, closed on 3 1/2 sides, so I'm not talking about a large space. The sub will fit perfectly in corner.
So, given all of that, what would be the difference between a 16-46CS and a 20-36CS+ with a port blocked to get to 16Hz? I understand the updated driver in the plus gives it more output, which I don't think I really need. I don't think the height of sub will deter me - after all, what would I put on top of it? :)
Do I understand this correctly? Any tips before I take the plunge?
Thanks,
Jami

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I had some of the same question as well as others when I decided to make my purchase. I started out with a 20-39pc just to see what the SVS hype was about. I have since returned the pc and replaced it with a 20-39cs+/Samson combo. I have been using the port plug to get the 16hrz tune. I have recorded levels of 116dbs at the listening position in a room 13.5x13.5x8. It's not that I listen to movies that loud but it's fun to impress your friends with expecially when the floor starts to shake. I just ordered a twin on the HTS group buy. They are addictive to say the least! You never know if you might move to a bigger space or decide that you really like the feeling of a SVS once you get one. IMHO I would go with the 20-39cs+ for two reasons. A)it's tuneable down to 16hrz B) you will have the increased output needed in case you ever move to a larger room!:D

Tam Nguyen

Grip
I am in the same boat as you when I first decided to get the 20-39CS. My room is 20x17x9, which is larger than your room. It impressed me when i do the calibration (by ear only) and it even impressed me when I watch the shooting scene in the Sword Fish movie when John T. being chased by the Senator's scecret mob. The bass in this scene produce unbelievable physical impact that the 20-39CS delivered. I used to have a FSR-15 servo and don't recall that I can feel this much of impact.

Yeah, like Bob said. It is easier with the Plus when you have chance to move to the bigger room. Even if you get one now, with the bigger room in the future it is easy to add a second one and experience the intense bass. I will go this route (one Plus now and add another later.)

I am (in the process) returning the 20-39CS to get the Plus w/s1000 amp in hoping for more bass. Will post my experience with the Plus when I have chance to play with it.

Tam N.

Jami Bradley

Auditioning
Thanks for the input - I am leaning toward the 20-39CS+

I already have an amplifier to start using - will I need more power for the plus with a port plug than with an unported sub?

The amp I have is an AudioSource Amp One. Bridged it puts out 200 Watts (although the impedance isn't documented, I assume it would be 4). This will be enough to get started, right?

Thanks!

Jami

Tam Nguyen

Grip
Hi Jami,
I use the FSR-15 plate amp (250w rms) to drive the 20-39CS and the heat sink is like the stove top. This never happened before on the Velo. This time the amp meets it match. On one occasion, the amp was kick into the thermal protection mode for a few second, obviously because of the over heating issue. May be I drive it to hard. Remember that I only calibrate the system by ear and may have it too "hot". To have a little more power would not hurt either. That is why I return the CS (still in 45 day trial) to get the Plus/amp combo. I do believer your 200w amp can do wonder until you realize you want more. Aren't we all;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks