What's new

SUSPENSE and STUDIO ONE ANTHOLOGY (1 Viewer)

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I saw this, too and found it to be very welcome news. I am definitely looking forward to this third set.

danielmartin

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Pretty uninspired if not lame cover, tho. Hope that is not a case of foreshadowing of the content inside.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Most likely it is not.

This cover, while certainly not beautiful, is at least quite consistent with the preceding two.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just wanted to pipe in on this thread and say I've really been enjoying the Studio One anthology. Both of the included Rod Serling teleplays ("The Strike" and "Arena") were excellent. I even enjoy the live Westinghouse commercials during the act breaks with Betty Furness. Vanna White could never stroke a fridge and speak that eloquently at the same time.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Since Infinity is part of the same company that owns Deep Discount, it may be exclusive to them for the time being. DD is currently listing it as in stock for $27.19.

danielmartin

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Amazon . ca which is slow to post most 'upcoming releases' finally had Suspense #3 up and I've ordered it. I believe their list price was even lower than their us counterpart (which is rare but not completely unusual)...

Charles H

Screenwriter
Amazon (USA) has it for $35.99 and DVD Empire has it for $31.50. It is listed under SUSPENSE: Collection 3, rather than the lost episodes.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I just noticed that there is a May 19 release of all three Suspense collections bundled together for $44.99 full retail. That is a significant savings over what I paid for all three seasons separately. A great deal if you do not already have the sets. I highly reccomend them.

Also, I notice something funny All of the episodes from these sets are from 1949 - 1954 except for an odd ball on the third set from 1964. It starred James Whitimore and Vic Morrow and was very "Twilight Zone Like." I'm wondering where did this episode come from; It obviously was not a kinescope, but a filmed show. If they had this show, where are the others like it? Are there more Suspense shows out there to be put out on DVD from the 1960s?

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
There are two oddballs in this last set: the James Whitmore/Vic Morrow "Death at the Stock Car Races" (from either 1964 or 1959, according to its copyright date), and "The Funmaster" (from 1958). I'd also be interested in knowing where these came from.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I don't know if this is analagous with "Suspense" or not, but there is an episode of "One Step Beyond" that's really not an episode. The episode is titled "Midnight" and was actually an episode from an early dramatic anthology series titled "Stars Over Hollywood" (1950-51). Somehow, probably in some editing room, a "One Step Beyond" title sequence got slapped on this episode and it circulated in later syndication runs of the series and has, incorrectly, appeared on several public domain collections of "One Step Beyond." I just wonder if a similar situation might be occuring here with these "Suspense" episodes.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Amazon currently has the Studio One Anthology for half price. I just ordered it; looking forward to finally getting it!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
According to Brooks/Marsh,Complete Directory To Prime Time TV:

Suspense-Mar-Sept 1964. "In the spring of 1964, almost a full decade after the live version of Suspense left the air, a new series of filmed Suspense dramas arrived on CBS with Sebastian Cabot as host (there had never been a regular host for the live show). ... By the end of June,however, there were no new episodes being produced. Although it was still called Suspense, and Sebastian Cabot remained as host, all the telecasts aired from July to September were actually reruns from Schlitz Playhouse of Stars."

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Looks like you have uncovered the mystery of those two "rogue" episodes, Bob. Interestingly, I looked up the episode guide at IMDB.com for "Schlitz Playhouse of Stars," and episode 14 of season 8 is titled "The Salted Mine." Turns out that it was the pilot for "Shotgun Slade." Originally broadcast on March 27, 1959 as part of "Schlitz . . .," it showed up as episode 2 of season 1 of the "Shotgun Slade" series on October 26, 1959. Ernie Kovacs was the guest star!!! This episode appears on Timeless Media's 2-DVD, 10-episode collection of "Shotgun Slade." If I recall correctly, the pilot for "The Restless Gun" was also broadcast on "Schlitz . . . " Talk about recycling!!!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Bob, a couple of other western pilots also showed up as Schlitz episodes: The Restless Gun and Tales Of Wells Fargo.

"Death at the Stock Car Races" has it's own listing at IMDB with an April 15th 1964 airdate listed. So it could be episode #9 or #10 on the Suspense 1964 episode guide which has ??? listed. But since Tim says it has a 1959 copyright also, it may be from an earlier Schlitz broadcast.

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
Why isn't The Fireside Theater out there? Also, the last few years when the name changed to Jane Wyman Presents The Fireside Theater?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Oy, early television and what aired when is a mess, isn't it? I've been working on my own list just so I can have a sense of organization, but prior to say, 1954, I get the feeling there's a lot of guess work involved.

Not meant as being critical of anyone, it's just difficult figuring this all out.

That being said, knowing there are issues, Studio One and Suspense are being considered by me as potential buys, especially since the Amazon.com Suspense package is well priced. Anyone got opinions on episode and video quality on these things?

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
They're all from early kinescopes so the quality is variable, but still watchable.

There are some reviews of the sets over at DVD Talk. The screen captures from Studio One look more than exceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks