What's new

Survivor Phillipines (season 25) (1 Viewer)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Dheiner said:
Personally, I feel that, even though I hate the woman, if Abi gets to the final, she deserves to win.  She should have been taken out long before the merge, but keeps on sticking around.  That takes smart play, and skill.  I hate her, but, I respect her.
I disagree. Aside from winning one challenge where she bought a free pass to the final round, she's been left to stick around because she's no threat. Not at challenges, not at the final vote and a doubtful longshot that she could find even a single ally to make a voting block. I don't think just making it to the final when you've done little to get there yourself gets it done. The essence of Survivor is being able to gut your enemies and allies alike while still earning their respect. It's the biggest challenge of the game and she hasn't come close to any other player still left. At least that's the way I see it. :)

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
2nd place is (or used to be) worth $100,000, worth playing for if you know that you'll never be able to win. But is there a prize for 3rd? With the game now usually having a final 3 rather than a final 2, playing for 2nd is a pretty crappy strategy, unles 3rd has a nice purse.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Hugh Jackes /t/323883/survivor-phillipines-season-25/90#post_4011728
2nd place is (or used to be) worth $100,000, worth playing for if you know that you'll never be able to win. But is there a prize for 3rd? With the game now usually having a final 3 rather than a final 2, playing for 2nd is a pretty crappy strategy, unles 3rd has a nice purse.

Yeah, they haven't mentioned that in several years, but when this first started, the winner got a million, second got 100, and I thought third got something as well. Now no one ever talks about that. I'd figure by default the longer you were on the show you'd get some compensation, even if it wasn't the big win

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
IMO, the signs are pointing to a final two instead of a final three. For one thing, the jury count is off for a F3 -- there would be 8 instead of 9 jury members for a F3, but the traditional 9 if there a F2. Also, the 2 hour Sunday episode will go in with 4 people left, and they always vote off at least two people in the finale. I don't think they're going to spend two hours just getting rid of a single castaway, which is also a sign that there will be a F2.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Hanson /t/323883/survivor-phillipines-season-25/90#post_4011743
IMO, the signs are pointing to a final two instead of a final three. For one thing, the jury count is off for a F3 -- there would be 8 instead of 9 jury members for a F3, but the traditional 9 if there a F2. Also, the 2 hour Sunday episode will go in with 4 people left, and they always vote off at least two people in the finale. I don't think they're going to spend two hours just getting rid of a single castaway, which is also a sign that there will be a F2.
I agree. This whole season has been a return to form of old - one reward challenge, one immunity challenge, heck they even brought back survivor auction. I am seeing a final two as well.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Hanson said:
Well... Abi still has a shot, right?
She may still have a chance, but I doubt it.
I remember back to the very first Survivor, with Richard Hatch winning. He was pretty unlikeable, but he had a plan from day one of how to manipulate people and "work the system".
Abi has just gotten incredibly lucky, I don't think she has ever had a plan on how to win, just pure luck she's in the position she is now.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/323883/survivor-phillipines-season-25/90#post_4011847
But no bug eating. That's been missing in recent years...

Wonder why?
Yeah - the bug/nasty stuff eating is missed. Come on Probst - let's see some bug-eating!

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I recently watched the first season with my son who is ten. One challenge I had forgot about happened at the final 4. They brought in the complete jury and then had the remaining 4 survivors answer questions about the jury. The winner got immunity. I would like to see something like that again. Also I miss the challenges where you take turns knocking people out and it basically shows the rest of the group the pecking order.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Matt^Brown /t/323883/survivor-phillipines-season-25/90#post_4012304
Also I miss the challenges where you take turns knocking people out and it basically shows the rest of the group the pecking order.

Those challenges inevitably went a long way towards shaking up the game. It is another wonderment that those have been laid aside in favor of challenge-after-challenge of carabiners, ropes, digging in sand and puzzle pieces.

The only thing close to that this season was when Malcolm chose Lisa & Skupin to have their "loved ones" stay for some extra time...rather than his close ally Denise.

I have been glad to see the really physical rough-and-tumble challenges done away with. Those were getting too seriously dangerous.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Matt^Brown said:
I recently watched the first season with my son who is ten. One challenge I had forgot about happened at the final 4. They brought in the complete jury and then had the remaining 4 survivors answer questions about the jury. The winner got immunity. I would like to see something like that again. Also I miss the challenges where you take turns knocking people out and it basically shows the rest of the group the pecking order.
I have absolutely no memory of that. Of course season one was 20+ years ago in "Survivor time".
It would be nice to return to some of the old challenges. The ropes and knots, breaking tiles, puzzles and others are getting pretty repetitive. At least Redemption Island and those lame challenges are gone, let's hope that never returns.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This season is packed with great Tribal Councils.

Abi -might- have stayed just so she could be the goat; I think there was some real thought about it.. and then she decided to keep referring to people as "morons" "idiots" and you have to realize: even if it gives me a slightly better chance, voting to keep her might lose me some votes as well.

I don't know if I've ever seen a group dancing and smiling as someone gets voted off the island this late.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Strategically it wasn't a smart move, but that's easy for me to say from the comfort of my family room couch. I'm sure living with that harpy 24/7 would give me a different perspective.
Right now it all comes down to whether there will be a final two or final three. If it's the latter, Malcolm and Denise could split votes - are there enough Tandang members on the jury who would vote for Skupin or Lisa? Will Penner "out" Lisa at the final tribal? Sunday should be fun.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I am very much looking forward to Sunday. I haven't enjoyed a season this much in a long time. At least back to pre-Hantz days, God I hate that family.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't ever remember the producers showing us the remaining survivors leaving tribal council from that particular camera angle either. They might as well played "Zippy-Dee-Doo-Dah" in the background too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know, I was very worried when, aboard ship, the
conversation turned towards eliminating Denise.

Absolutely, Denise should be the most feared individual
for anyone looking to win the million dollars. She has
been my pick to win for weeks now.

And you know what? Had Abi not opened her idiotic
mouth at tribal council, there is an excellent chance that
she would still be sitting there and Denise would be ousted.

So, thankfully, Abi is finally gone. However, I think Denise
has a huge target on her back just for being the person most
likely to make it to the end.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun /t/323883/survivor-phillipines-season-25/90#post_4013186
I don't ever remember the producers showing us the remaining survivors leaving tribal council from that particular camera angle either.

I noticed that, too.

I was also thinking as they left camp to head to tribal council about how perfect their single-line formation was. They must be under orders to walk in single file (holding the torch's, etc.). And then they always show them filing in to tribal (with torches lit) in single file. Has anyone ever heard anything about that? Do you suppose they are required to remain in single file (maybe silent?) for the entire trip from camp to tribal council? You would think that must be rather unnatural and that they'd tend to walk in groups of twos and threes, etc. Just curious.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I noticed that, too.
I was also thinking as they left camp to head to tribal council about how perfect their single-line formation was.  They must be under orders to walk in single file (holding the torch's, etc.). And then they always show them filing in to tribal (with torches lit) in single file.  Has anyone ever heard anything about that?  Do you suppose they are required to remain in single file (maybe silent?) for the entire trip from camp to tribal council?  You would think that must be rather unnatural and that they'd tend to walk in groups of twos and threes, etc.  Just curious.
I saw an aerial shot of one of the TC sets once several years ago and was really shocked at how staged it all was.
Loads of lighting, rigging, large metal x-beams holding things up, etc. Stuff that is obviously very well hidden during the fliming. I always figured there were a few lights, some special propane tanks to keep the fires going, but the thing was huge.
I'm quite sure they're told how to enter the stage, where to sit for perfect lighting and how to file out when voting is done. Wouldn't doubt it's rehearsed several times to make sure they get it right. Reality is not what it seems any more. I don't even trust TV or movies any more, who knows what's real and what's digital. Maybe even Survivor does a little tweaking here and there.
Never came across stories from past survivor cast members about some of the staging, probably part of a confdentiality agreement they can't break.
As for Abi, probably a guaranteed win if you were up against her, but I'm guessing everyone just was so tired of dealing with someone so negative, lying and just plain awful to be around, they couldn't tolerate her any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks