Survivor Panama Exile Island season 12 (merged)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

From what I've heard,

Bruce has bowel problems, however, he has a family history with aorta problems, and at the time they were not sure what his problem was, so 'they' take him out.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Bruce had to leave the game with major colon/bladder blockage. Ouch! So Terry gets a bye this week.

Loved the pecking order reward challenge. Courtney got the brunt of it, and the reactions by the Casaya members were pretty funny. Shane was as emotional as a whiny brat because Cerie didn't pick him to join in the reward.

3. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    I'm curious as to what the immunity challenge would have been last night. Would it have been a primarily physical one, where Terry had a good chance to win. Or less physical, and one of the other players had a shot.

Either way, Bruce leaving is a lucky break for Terry. Just wondering how big of a break it was.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'm really suprised that nobody has jumped, and tried to get rid of Shane, I'd be the first to call him out.

I guess people can't see that all of his rants only last a day .....cigarettes, wanting to go home, ETC and he's simply playing .

Courtney would be smart to go against Shane and take him out, she has no chance to win, and it would be great to see him on the jury, just to hear his questions

Brent

5. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

There's a limit on using the hidden idol right? It has to be used before the final 4, IIRC. So Terry has to make it through next two TC's and has immunity for one of them and then the hidden idol is out of play. Is that right?

6. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

I can see why Shane and his kid are best friends; after all they are probably pretty close in maturity development. That is of course if Shane's kid is only 8. What a pathetic display last night.

As for Bruce, I saw him today on the morning show, glad to see that he was ok.

What about Aras? Was he just being spiteful when he yelled to Terry that he didn’t think he could survive out there on his own or was he being an idiot? Probably both.

Terry is now going to make it to at least the final 5 but it would be nice to see him win the next IC so he could at least make it to the final 4.

7. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    I think Aras was just exercising strategy. He knows that Terry is formidable - I think Aras "threw" the challenge on purpose knowing that Cerie would bring him along on the reward challenge and also feeling like the "bullseye" is on someone else. Saying those things about Terry were just part of the game.

While I admire Terry for his service to our country, his incredible abilities, I feel like the Survivor producer types should think a little harder about pitting retired fighter jet pilots who have completed rigorous survival training against fire dancers, art teachers and yoga instructors. How could Terry not win physical and mental challenges at this stage...?

8. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

I think you are giving Aras far too much credit for thinking. To me his blurt out was nothing more then childish display of immaturity. He knows Terry is the big dog that he would like to be and it's eating at him. He also knows that he very easily could be going home before Terry and that's also killing him.I couldn't disagree with you more. While I doubt Terry will make it to the final two every week he continues makes for great TV. I think many people really enjoy it when someone beats the odds and survives. He is the classic rouged individual who defies the mediocrity-ridden horde and survives.

9. ChristopherG

Chris
    IMHO you don't give him enough. I don't disagree that Aras knows that Terry is the big dog - but Aras is not a complete mental case like Shane or Courtney. Aras was clearly on a path to win this challenge - his answer choice of Terry to "who is least likely to survive on their own?" Sorry, but in my opinion, he did that to allow Cerie the win and to put a burr under Terry's saddle.

It's a shame that Bruce had to go out that way - gotta be, potentially, the most expensive case of constipation on record. His art students should have some fun with that one. Hope we seem him on the jury soon though.

10. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

How exactly was Aras on the path to winning this challenge? He was down to one rope and Cirie still had two. Clearly he was not on a path to victory. If anything believing that he was weakens your position and strengthens mine. On the other hand if you believe he knew he was going to lose so he said to himself what the heck I'll say Terry then you would have a better argument. Or if he knew Cirie was going to take him regardless then again you would have a better argument. I'm not sure which one it is but as I wrote earlier I think he was just lashing out like a child. Either way I find him to be a total tool and hope he goes home soon.

On another topic it’s time for the girls to wise up and ban together and start kicking off the men. If they wait any longer they could miss their chance to take control of the game.

11. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

I'm sorry to see Bruce taken out by illness, but this turn of events again helps Terry's cause. He has survived another week without using the immunity idol. More importantly he has a mortal lock on two jury votes (his former LaMina members), and could easily have Bruce as well (Bruce's tribe showed how it valued him by knocking him off right after Terry in the pecking order challenge) He also has the advantage of not really creating any blood enemies in this group. He has no allies, so in the end he need not betray anyone to survive. Former Cassia members will soon need to start backstabbing one another and create enemies in the process on the jury. It is my observation that to win the jury vote, you don't so much need friends as to not make enemies. Plenty of Cassia folks could vote for Terry because they so hate other Survivor X. This strategy however is contingent on Terry continuing to win immunity challenges. Like Tom in Palau, he is in the crosshairs every week.

Oh, and in the hall of fame of great Survivor faces and moments I loved Terry and Bruce on the sidelines razzing the other players during the challenge. Terry satirically echoing Aras "There're just trying to splinter the group, yeah" followed by chuckles with Bruce was priceless.

12. OliverT

OliverT Stunt Coordinator

"While I admire Terry for his service to our country, his incredible abilities, I feel like the Survivor producer types should think a little harder about pitting retired fighter jet pilots who have completed rigorous survival training against fire dancers, art teachers and yoga instructors. How could Terry not win physical and mental challenges at this stage...?"

That pretty much sums up my sentiments as well. But it isn't so much about the profession of the other people as it is about their age and experiences. A 47 yr old male is still physically VERY capable. A better choice is people like Bruce who have all the experience and mental focus but are 8-10yrs removed from their physical prime. This isn't usually such a huge "problem" for the show but the fact that the superior player also has an extra immunity makes it sort of a joke.

Frankly, its hard to imagine Terry not winning at this point. There are FOUR challenges left and he only needs to win TWO. I also agree with his assessment that nobody stands a chance against him in the F3 challenge (especially since Terry can see Aras go away whenever he so chooses) so now he really only needs to win ONE of next THREE to make the final 2. What are the chances of him not winning one of the next three?

Combine this with the votes he has locked in from his old tribe, the infighting that is soon to commence with the enemy alliance and the fact that he hasn't had to double cross anyone and its pretty much game over. Sure, someone else could win but the odds on that appear to be really small...

ot

13. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

I don't know about the votes he has locked in. If I was one of the players he told that he was going to save them with the hidden Idol, I'd be kind of pissed he didn't. Even if he never really comitted to the idea. Just the thought he could have saved me would bug me.

14. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

Sally and Austin are stone cold locks to vote for Terry if he makes it to the final two. At least that is how it appears from their exit interviews on the Morning Show and the extra scenes that have been shown.

15. ChristopherG

Chris
    Pat,

I think you might be missing my point. Terry is "rugged", no doubt, and is very driven - all great stuff. A large part of the physical and mental superiority (AKA survival skills) he has developed is a result of his being a retired USN fighter pilot. He graduated from Annapolis and flew various aircraft to include F-14 Tomcats at NAS/Miramar (think Top Gun). He was active duty up until 1992 and now flys A300s for American.

How could he not consistently beat art teachers, yoga instructors and fire dancers? IMO, it's ludicrous to put them into the same league.

As for my position vs. yours I prefer to consider them separate opinions and each are viable. I still think that Aras gave up the challenge on purpose.

Cheers

16. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

The one minute I step away and I miss the Bruce medivac. Oh well, looks like I didn't miss much.

17. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Bruce going home is bad for Terry -- it looked like Bruce was Terry's ally waiting in the wings for the numbers to work in his favor. He didn't want to tip his hand before he got the numbers, but now Terry is down one alliance member.

Of course, at this point, the allaince may not matter so much since Terry is close to taking it all anyway.

18. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I think this was definitely the best episode of the season and probably one of the best episodes ever--obviously an out of the ordinary event with Bruce but Shane at the reward challenge was entertaining as hell.

19. ChristopherG

Chris
    That's for sure - Shane is a real piece of work. He REALLY wanted to go on that reward challenge!!!

20. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

Shane is just plain good TV! Cerie really hurt her cause with the reward challenge; her strategy has been to fly under the radar, make friends, make no enemies. Now Shane and others are probably suspicious of her. It is a testament to her knowlege of the game that she recognized this in her comments on camera. Also her general likability makes her dangerous in any final two scenario. Cerie better watch her back.