Survivor Panama Exile Island season 12 (merged)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

There's a difference between making a challenge fair for all participants (balance should apply equally, when one team is all men and has overpowering strength) and stacking the deck (the plates). Let's hope they go with the former. I have to say I've been really impressed with the challenges this year. Many new ideas and they all seem interesting. I enjoyed both the underwater swim (with the food/opt out provision) and the swinging flag grab last night. Compelling tv.

2. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    The problem is the idea of the show is who can survive. In the real world, the strongest and smartest would survive better than someone like Ceree (sp?) or someone who can walk across a balance beam. (woman have better balance than men in general)

But this show would not as popular if it were truly about survival. It is more about politics and treachery.

They want ratings and the jerks, conflicts, and back stabbing is what makes the ratings. This is why they "tweak" the challenges to get the results they want. They fear the show would be boring if it were really about survival.

on another note:

Giving those guys a choice to eat while others actually play was wrong. It gives them an even bigger advantage now because they have actually eaten.

I say, if they wanted to make the show "real" they should make it a true survival show. I mean come on, would that wacko fire dancer (courtney?) survive on an island without help? Lets see how much praising the fire gods will help her eat. Jeesh.

I wish they would make everyone responsible for their own water and food. That would make it interesting [​IMG]

3. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

My memory is poor but I thought in the past the smashing plates was usually for reward not for immunity...

Andy

4. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

One could make a cogent arguement that politics and treachery are very much a part of the real world, which is what the show tries to reflect under the guise of "survival"

Andy

5. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Shane and Cirie are my two favorites at this point; I hated Shane early on but he's one of the most entertaining players ever.

That's almost always the reward challenge, but I'd think that the producers are loving their all-American poor man's Tom Westman and would like to see him kick butt and go on an immunity run.

I liked Sally a lot and I remember on other boards there being some speculation pre-season that she was going to be the next Kelly G. (from Africa, my favorite contestant ever). But as likeable as Sally is, Kelly's still atop the throne that she's been on for nine seasons now. [​IMG]

6. OliverT

OliverT Stunt Coordinator

I believe this is correct.

Aras has good reason to be irritated - his alliance peeps are mentally weak and their preference was OBVIOUSLY that terry expend the idol AND aras get voted out. I would be looking for a new alliance if I were him starting right away.

That IC was a perfect time to break Terry and they didn't do it...gluttony overwhelmed strategy. Seriously, one or two of the alliance peeps should have swam out, took a cursory look and the swam back. Apply all sorts of pressure to Terry to swim back in before he maybe is fully confident in the order. The remaining alliance peeps hang back and just make 100% sure they have it and then come back.

Now I believe Terry only has to win 4 out of 5 challenges to make the Final 2 and the Threat of the idol is now truly immense (an IC win next week will SHATTER the alliance)...he is in the driver's seat even though he is an alliance of one.

ot

7. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Also, no one commented on the preview for the next episode:

They showed Bruce looking like he was in trouble of some sort. I have a feeling he's the one that could need to be rushed off of the island for medical treatment.

We'll see!

8. Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Hope it's a little more serious than Shanes "medical emergency" was.

9. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Okay, so I watched it like 5 times, and regardless of what the closed captioned claims it is (and CC is waaaay under 100% when it comes to accuracy), I swear Shane said his son was "my wife". Even my wife, who could not nor would not believe it has come around. I have no idea what the hell Shane means by that (maybe his son cooks and cleans the house?). I know "life" makes more sense in context, but it sure as hell sounds like "wife".

As far a Bruce's "medical emergency":

I can see a scenario where they all get wasted on alcohol and Bruce being a lightweight is so wasted that he's on all fours and puking (which is what we saw). The actual victim of this medical emergency is probably someone else if all these years of deceptive Survivor promos have taught me anything.

I thought it was interesting that they didn't show the whole of the family videos this time. Maybe four at once was too much?

10. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I played it twice; I definitely hear "life" although I can see why people think he's saying "wife."

11. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

As for the big event next week:perhaps the fire dancer lights herself or someone else on fire. You have to admit it would make for great TV. [​IMG]

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I love the “gang up” challenges for the reason Patrick mentioned: it reveals publicly the pecking order—just as choosing someone to share in a reward challenge does.

13. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Patrick_S ...

God I hope so [​IMG] I would pay to see that episode. LOL

or
    maybe she hits shane in the face with her twirling fire balls [​IMG]

14. Ty Zucker

Ty Zucker Stunt Coordinator

If Terry doesn't win an immunity challenge, I think his best play is to reveal he has the HII. The reason is that if he shows everyone the HII, then they know one of their "alliance" is getting voted out and they argue it amongst themselves while Terry watches. He shouldn't care too much which one of them goes so long as they argue about it and develop hard feelings between themselves. Actually, they will *have* to talk about who they want to vote off and split their votes because if they all vote for Terry to force him to use the idol, then Terry gets to choose who goes. I'm guessing no one wants to leave that up to Terry - people will be too paranoid Terry will vote for them. When that happens, Terry has an opportunity. Heck, maybe in the confusion they even do something dumb like forget to have enough people vote for Terry in the first place and then he doesn't have to use the idol.

Somebody earlier said it first - Terry needs to use the threat of the HII to his advantage, not just the actual HII.

15. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

Ok I have a question about next week's show. I'll put it in a spoiler it since some may not know about the turn of events next week.Next week someone leaves the show for medical reasons. Do you think they might still have a tribal council? That would be interesting to have two people leave in one week. I remember that the last time someone left they didn’t do tribal but this time I think they should just to mix up the game.

16. Ty Zucker

Ty Zucker Stunt Coordinator

I don't think it matters too much one way or the other.

17. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Well, we're not sure if the person is leaving or not (although I would guess if he had to be carried out on a stretcher like the old promo showed, he would).

But unless they have another hiatus scheduled, the finale is Sunday, May 14 which means that they can't afford to have any episodes where two people leave--in fact, unless the finale is the final three, they might have an episode where nobody leaves.

18. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

Bruce's illness
    sounds like a setup. I'm suspecting the Survivor who gets shipped out is someone else.

19. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

In Survivor: The Australian Outback, when Michael was injured, there was no Tribal Council and no one else was ousted. If someone must leave this version of the game, I would assume there also be no Tribal Council.

20. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

SurvivorFever has the transcript of a preview which confirms that
    the person with the emergency IS forced to leave the game

Should be an interesting episode.