Survivor - Nicaragua - season 21 thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yeah, I know, I'm just impressed that Survivor producers are able to find them in the slew of video entries for the show.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

3. Larry*P

Larry*P Agent

And that's getting to be a problem with these shows. These people are just caricatures. And now we have the "Russell" effect. Filling shoes with sand and dumping them in the water? What's up with that?

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

5. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I thought contestants were only allowed one pair of shoes so how come he had the $1600 pair and then the sneakers they showed him walking around in at camp?

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Luxury item?

I took note Fabio/Jud said he had an "extra" pair of socks (the ones swiped by the Naonka (sp?)). I certainly could see them being allowed two pairs of socks.

7. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

If you ask why people don't present themselves well on Survivor despite viewing previous seasons, remember the incredible stress they are under. These people are cold, tired, bug-bit, sleep-deprived, hungry and thirsty most of the time and are involuntarily surrounded by abrasive, unlikable strangers. Most people can maintain a good front when they're rested and fed, but you make em hungry and sleep-deprived and all kinds unattractive personality traits come to the forefront. I always admire the people who keep it together thru all this and manage to keep their emotions in check and head in the game.

8. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

And some of these people are just worthless people. They don't present themselves well on Survivor because they more than likely don't present themselves well in day to day life. I love the show and I'm always entertained by the interesting people they find. If there were 20 people like me on the show you wouldn't have much drama, or viewers for that matter.

9. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I think the "Russel Effect" is really people sitting at home and laughing as one seemingly "smart" person goes through the game and up-ends it because of the stupidity of most of the other contestants. It was surprisingly refreshing to see someone, good or bad, at least seriously gameplan and completely outwit others.

The show is supposed to be Outlast-Outwit-Outplay and until Russell it had been several seasons since someone really played the "outwit" card. Lots of people outplayed others, hangers on lasted until the end, but the smart game was really lacking.

I'm in for the season, it's fun, but there are about 4 people who need to go home. Like right away. Which makes this less fun when you feel as though you know a large group of people who have no shot to make it to the end.

10. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Exactly. In the preview for next week's episode Nanookie makes a comment that shows you what a piece of shit she is.

11. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

But that's why we watch, because it's drama and fun! You gotta have someone you hate to make it more exciting when your favorites beat them.

12. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Chatty Kathy Wendy may have been right on the edge of staying or going, but when she asked Jeff "Can I say just one more thing...." she was doomed.

She was annoying enough as it was, but that pushed her over the edge. Still early so no favorites yet, but this must may go to one of the older women. I'd like to see NaOnka go pretty quick, she rates really high on the annoyance factor.

13. Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran Screenwriter

Glad to see the asshat who can't keep his mouth shut during tribal go home. What kind of moron goes after his tribe mates right before they vote! Idiot!

14. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I think I've found my most hated Survivor of all-time. I don't just want Nanookie to get voted off, I want her to get hit by a falling meteorite and burst into flame on her way out of Tribal Council. What an obnoxious b!tch!!!

15. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    If I were on the young team, I would INTENTIONALLY LOSE to get that bitch out. Destroying their reward while beating down a member of your camp? WTF is that??!?!?!

In regards to the older tribe: Big mistake voting off Jimmy. That was fear, entirely. I would have kept him around for a long while because he would have helped in the merge and almost no threat in the final counsel because who would give him $1M? They had far more "weak links" They were thinking about the end of the game (wrongly) and they weren't thinking about how they start winning challenges now.

16. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Well gosh, golly, gee whiz, that Naonka is just a vile human being through and through and with every awful and hateful syllable that staggers out of her pie hole she removes just a little more dirt from her grave in the game.

Seriously, if she thinks she playing a smart game she's sorely mistaken, not even Russell Hantz came off as badly as she is. I'm just glad I'm not there with her, if I were just hearing her speak would make me want to drown myself in the sea.

Poor Jimmie J lol, I'm still trying to figure out why he was even there to begin with.

17. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Agreed. Naonka is just trash. She needs to go ASAP.

Still have not warmed up to this new batch of Survivors, but

I'm certain that will improve as the episodes continue. There

just isn't anyone overly likeable on either tribe and the bad
    guy(s) aren't even ones you want to root for.

18. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Look, the girl with an artificial limb has proven she plays hard in the challenges and is just as athletic as others. And others have acknowledged that. Naonka goes out of her way to say "I'm waiting for her to fail" But when she laughed and threatened to throw her artificial leg in the fire? Oh yeah, screw you. I'm sorry, how does that creep into your mind? That's not like drowning a shoe or stealing a piece of clothes. Those are expensive and without it, you destroy your team.

The moment she said that, as far as I was concerned, I would have damn near petitioned Phil, just showed up at Tribal Counsel and offered to boot someone "I know we won, but..." My god.

When they say next week "Hurrican Naonka" Oh hell.

Jeff Probst lays into her as well:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/30/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-3/

19. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I sort of sensed Jimmy Johnson's time was up.

He has been on the news lately talking about the
    show which I found odd. Unless they have the next

10 weeks (or however long) of the show already in

the can I don't think it was the best move to show
    Jimmy back from the Island.

I also don't think it was the wisest idea for Marty

to have announced the idol. However, he was

pushed into it by Jill. It just goes to show that

no matter what good deed you do there is always

going to be somebody questioning it. You are

damned if you do, damned if you don't.

20. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Interesting... had Russell Hantz said the exact same things as NaOnka, some of the people in this thread would be falling over themselves with delight. Personally, if NaOkna wasn't there, life at La Flor would be an endless montage of Fabio stepping on rakes. That tribe is actually quite boring otherwise. Between Purple Kelly, Benry, and Sash, there is zero personality. And I think there are two or three other people in that tribe I can't even recollect.

Looks like the editors built up Jimmy Johnson as a tribe leader, but from the way the votes shook down, it appears he wasn't as well regarded as they made it out to be. Dan is easily as useless as Jimmy J was in the challenges, but most of the tribe went along with the vote to get rid of JJ. Watching Marty's reaction when he offered the HII to the tribe was priceless -- he was so pained and embittered that I was laughing my ass off. Which also means that Jill is the puppet master of Espada. Marty is simply her figurehead.