What's new

Survivor Caramoan (season 26) - Fans vs. "Favorites" (1 Viewer)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I forgot to also mention the teaser for next week where Lil' Hanz goes batshit insane!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ChristopherG
I forgot to also mention the teaser for next week where
Lil' Hanz goes batshit insane!

Yeah...that's not been done already...to death. Yawn.
It is really shortsighted on the part of the producers that--with of all the people who want to be contestants on Survivor--they think going back to the Hantz well over-and-over is somehow interesting. An occasional All-Star show is fine and well...but how many seasons now have featured a Hantz? I would say a few too many.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Phillip's throwing ritual was the highlight of the night for me. He stood there like Mariano Rivera on the mound and did a no look windup like Luis Tiant. It was hilarious. Every. Time. Second highlight was Cochrane describing the Bushman as a Filipino Gollum followed by the perfect Gollum pose.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Hanson
Phillip's throwing ritual was the highlight of the night for me. He stood there like Mariano Rivera on the mound and did a no look windup like Luis Tiant. It was hilarious. Every. Time.
Second highlight was Cochrane describing the Bushman as a Filipino Gollum followed by the perfect Gollum pose.
And was it just me imagining it or was Cochrane implying that the Bushman was uploading shots to the spank-bank,,,?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Always seem that the people we loathe the most are taken out on medical. What a grand way for Shamar to go.  If it were more serious I would almost feel bad for him, but I don't think there was one person in his tribe not sorry to see him go. What a lazy, pain-in-the-ass.  Truly not representative of what a Marine is all about. Yes, the fans are doomed.  Trying to figure out just who is going to finish this game on top.  I am certain it's going to be one of the favorites, and if I had to pick that person it would be Malcolm.  He came so close the last time out, and I think he will probably win it this time 'round.
Just watched the episode, my comment would have almost matched yours word for word. Sharmar was a wuss, what a ridiculous, lazy way to leave the game. I had a terrible injury to my cornea about 15 years ago, turned my head just as a little boy was throwing a pinecone. It was kind of a delayed reaction, but extremely painful, yet all it took was a couple of whatever eye drops they use in an ER and I was fine. Opthamologist took care of things over time, my original scan looked like a spider web on my cornea, but life went on, I worked, drove, read, etc. A grain of sand? What do you think we have tear ducts for, to wash out debris like that. I think he just used it as an easy excuse to leave. Odd they left Cochrane out of the challenge, even though they won. With that little platform, a skinny, lightweight guy like him would have helped. Thank goodness Phillip has started wearing gym shorts, a bathing suit or whatever it is. Anything is better than seeing him in his ridiculous pink underwear. Now that he's promoted himself as the self-appointed leader of the tribe with all his silly code names for people, I think he's top of the list to be booted if the tribe loses any challenge before the merge. If they make it far enough to where they start individual immunity challenges, Eddie or Reynold could easily win this season. If they make it to the merge, pretty sure they'll be outnumbered by the favorites, but one of them might pull it off.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
That sucked. Brandon was unstable the last time with the way he freaked out when he couldn't handle his own obsession with his hot female tribe mate. This was just a different instability. That's what we get when they pick a cast member for effect rather than on whether they'd be good for the game. "I showed them! I can go out by my own hand!" That was complete disrespect to the game to share all of the internal dynamics of the Favorites with the Fans. Maybe now we can get back to the game.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
One of the worst episodes of survivor ever. I get that some people like the tension/etc. but I didn't find tension, it was just watching a lunatic run around until his team had to forfeit to get rid of him. The moment he threatened to Urinate in the food, I was like: immediately throw the challenge. Hide food. Whatever. Hell, I would have been tempted to throw the guy a beating as opposed to risk being poisoned by the weirdo.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Hopefully that closes the book on the Hantz family for good. I had the impression at the start of Brandon's first season that they were hoping he'd go non-linear but he never really did (apart from his 'temptations'). Maybe that's why they brought him back again and, if so, it paid off. That was disturbing and uncomfortable to watch. If he thought his life changed last time he left he's going to have quite a shock when he wakes up tomorrow morning. My only other comment - they need to change the Immunity Idol rule. One Idol, each camp PERIOD. Then one Idol after the merge (maybe two concurrent on occasion). The Idol going immediately back into play is annoying.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Frankly, I was more annoyed with Jeff for allowing Lil' Hantz to showcase his lunacy like that. Not only disrespectful to the game, but to all the other players. Pretty shameful spectacle all the way around. So, clearly there is no moral code to being a "Hantz".... I'm not sure if I would call this episode boring so much as I would unnecessary.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
EW interview with Probst re the Hantz Incident http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/14/survivor-caramoan-jeff-probst-brandon-hantz-meltdown/

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
"I was the author of my elimination"
Don't know quite what to say. As others have already stated, this kind of tension and
outburst doesn't make for the best episode ever. For me, it was just an awful deviation
from the game. It's a shame that so much attention had to be put towards a very sad individual.
If you watched through the end of the credits, you would have heard Brandon say that
he went out like Braveheart. That couldn't be farther from the truth.
As much as I originally liked having Russell Hantz in the game, I hope to never, ever
see anyone from that family in a future Survivor season.
On another note...
Recently, I recently suggested that survivor Sherri had a likeness to actress Sandra Bullock.
Well, I have been staring at Eric wondering why he reminds me of another actor.
Finally figured out who that was. I don't want to take away from the brilliant job that Hanson
does on his separated by birth photos (and I certainly am not as clever), but this is who Erik
reminds me of....
fddc5ced_Unknown.jpeg
]
Eric Idle anybody?
Edit: One thing further I wanted to add. If there was anything positive that
Brandon did in this episode it would be his conversation with Phil where he
confesses that everybody laughs at him and nobody likes the cartoon names that
were bestowed upon them. Let's see if that talk sinks in at all.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I don't know if the term is bi-polar or manic-depressive, but that is what Brandon seems to suffer from. I have no medical, psychological, or psychiatric training, but I know disturbed when I see it. If his wife isn't completely cowed by that family, after she sees his melt-down on TV, she should immediately take him get medical help, starting with a medical doctor and then possibly working up to shrink. Her and her children's health may depend on it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Dheiner said:
Not sure if serious.
Absolutely serious. That was not compelling drama. That was crybaby bullshit from a disturbed person who should never have been allowed to play the first time, let alone brought back the second time. I struggle with calling him a bully or not. Phillip is clearly a bully, I think Brandon is a bully by proxy. I get that the show can be more interesting by introducing less than honorable players in the mix. But it can also wallow in the instability and just not be that much fun.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote: I get that the show can be more interesting by introducing less than honorable players in the mix. But it can also wallow in the instability and just not be that much fun.
Sam, I agree, but I also struggle with that thought. I think back to past seasons where we sat here and complained how boring things were -- where nothing was happening from episode to episode. This is the problem with just showing a bunch of normal people living their days out on an island. If not for the oddballs that are intentionally placed in the show, I think that we wouldn't be sitting here week after week cheering on the next person to be voted out. There's no right way to stock these survivors. Obviously the name of the game for CBS is ratings, and that can't be done unless there is some kind of drama that keeps viewers tuned in and talking on message boards from week to week.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the thing is, I don't mind if people play a manipulative game, or if they mess with people's minds.. that's all OK. But the moment that Brandon started up with his stuff of "I'm going to destroy food/secretly urinate in rice/put sand in X/destroy Y" then it, to me, stopped being about playing a game at all. One player was directly trying to physically harm others. That hasn't happened before on Survivor. You've had players not like each other, but I don't remember players going nutso on another player where the other players were potentially at health risk. I just wasn't cool with it at all. I would have had no problem with someone from the game running in and going "FULL STOP" the moment the plan came out... I was that horrified by it. Phillip is a bully, sure.. but he's not a character who bullies were others can't get out from under it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The producers should not be surprised. And they should also learn from their mistake of bringing him back.
The whole thing was one big yawn for me...except that I think part of the incident (albeit a small part) was brought on by the relentless rain and difficult conditions. I think everyone's nerves were frayed to the very end and that might've contributed some to the situation (obviously the major reason for Brandon's meltdown was Brandon). I think we--the viewing audience--sometimes forgets the conditions that the players are under as they are out living in the elements.
Brandon being Brandon, I take him out of the equation. But I got the sense that the rest of the tribe was really worn out by his stress and the rest of what they were dealing with. The looks on all their faces were looks of desperation.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I don't see Phillip as a bully, as much as I see him trying to play a character. The character is his vision of Boston Rob. Brandon wants to be a bully one minute, then he wants to be the victim, then he wants to be a hero, then he wants to be the victim, then he wants to be the mastermind, then he wants to be the victim....... He just HAS TO be the center of attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks