What's new

Surround Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question re: rear surround speaker placement...

Picked up my Klipsch set this afternoon and am running wire now, here is my question.

My seating is at the rear wall, i have the Klipsch Rs3 Series II surrounds, do they have to be mounted the exact distance from the front wall for surround? I have a window on the right hand side of the room that interferes with mounting both speakers at the same distance from the front, is this a problem?

If not, will i suffer any surround sound performance by mounting the left rear 1ft from the back wall, and the right surround 5ft from the back wall?

thanks for the input.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm not familiar with those speakers, but as a general rule, i don't think a 1ft difference will make a significant difference.

also, most receivers allow you to specify the distance (and delay) from the listener to the speaker for each channel.

also, if you can, pick up a radio shack spl (sound pressure level) meter and a calibration dvd (video essentials, avia, or sght tune up). these two tools will help ensure that you get the correct sound out of each channel.

read the 'what every newbie should know' thread at the top of this forum. i think it has some info on the calibration stuff.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Troy

Many of us face the same obstacles.We make do with the room we have and try to make improvments as we move along in our hobby.The previous post answers your question very well.Most of us just have to fit in where we can and then maybe fight for just a little bit more.

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the info guys, i do have the AVIA dvd, went to get the spl meter tonight but the guy at RS pissed me off, since they work on comission (was going to buy 60.00 worth of ban. jacks too) i left. (plan to get the meter and plugs tomorrow)

i was asking, cause i am putting the speakers in and running the cable, but didnt want to mount and then have to move the speakers and/or cable.

plan to calibrate later this week. also, i read the newbie post that Vince started, maybe i need to get back in there and take another look.

floor stands arent an option for me either (i want to keep the floor as clean as possible)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks