What's new

Surround Sound? (1 Viewer)

jobeck1

Auditioning
Real Name
John Beck
I am looking to replace my old Onkyo HTIB receiver with a newer one. My question is: Is there a receiver out there that can bypass using surround sound all the time and just use the speaker on my tv if I so choose. I was able to do that with my Onkyo but in todays world of HDMI cables I don't know if there is a way. I asked Yamaha and he said that their receivers can't bypass the surround sound so, it would have to be on all the time.
Thx for any info you can give me.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm surprised your old Onkyo htib would allow you to do that.
Most new receivers have what's called "HDMI Standby Pass-Through" incuding Yamaha models like the 671. He musy have mis-understood your question. This allows the hdmi signal to pass through the receiver and go to the display with the receiver in Standby Mmode. Only problem is most receivers consume a lot more power in Standby mode with this feature is selected. Another option is to use completely different audio and video connections (like stereo rca and component) from the source component to the display and just change the input on the display.

jobeck1

Auditioning
Real Name
John Beck
That was the way I did it with the Onkyo, I didn't have HDMI with it so I had to use RCA cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks