What's new

Surround sound wont play my tv sound (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I have an Yamaha HTR-6030 Receiver, a Motorola DCT6416 DVR/Cable Box, and a Samsung UN55ES7100 TV and trying to hook up the surround sound for when I just simply watch a tv show. I ran a optical cable from the input on the receiver to the optical output on the DVR but I am not getting any sounds. Help please.

Sabby

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Are you using an HDMI cable from the cable box to the receiver. If you are make sure the cable box audio is set to Hdmi. If you have run the HDMI cable directly to the TV, not through the receiver, then you need to run audio cables from the TV to the receiver.If you can, the best way is to run HDMI from the cable box to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"Yamaha HTR-6030 Receiver, a Motorola DCT6416 DVR/Cable Box, and a Samsung UN55ES7100 TV"
"I ran a optical cable from the input on the receiver to the optical output on the DVR but I am not getting any sounds"

- From your description - you only have a cable box, a receiver and a TV. I know this sounds obvious - but do you have speakers connected to the receiver? If No - that is your problem, as a receiver will process the signal and output them to speakers that will make the sound.

If you do have speakers connected and just did not mention it - then you can start debugging. Start with the source and work your way through it. Does the cable box have a setting that lets it know to send a signal through the cable you are trying to use?
Do you need to turn the optical out signal (or whatever your cable box calls it) on at the receiver first?
If that is set - then you need to make sure that your receiver is set to receive the input from that cable. What is the optical input on the receiver you hooked it up to called? Whatever that connection is called, you need to set the receiver to that. If you set the receiver to TV - but the signal is coming in on optical 1 input - you will never hear it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The OP's response to my question of..."Did you go into the menu and set the input?"With..."I have it set on auto"...Means..."No I haven't read the owners manual to even know how to properly answer the question...nor how to take 15 seconds to set the input."

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
On the AVR itself, on the back, the optical can be labeled DTV/Cable all it wants. And you can connect a toslink to it.Means nothing if you haven't gone IN THE MENU for setup and set DTV/Cable for...Optical 1(or optical 2...may be even optical 3)Have you done that?

Angie Blower

Auditioning
Hi.. I have the same problem I have a LG tv model 42LD450ZA, freeview box from talk talk its a my view box .. Model Huawei DN370T... And a Philips 5 in1 home cinema surround sound model LX3750WNow I've tried everything to get sound coming from my tv through the home cinema speakers to no avail, I purchased a optical digital audio cable and put that from my tv to the cinema speakers still no sound ... Please help this is driving me mad.. If you could send me instructions simply as I'm new too all this thank you ... There is sound through the speakers through the Philips DVD player, so I've set that up ok... Thanks in anticipation

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks