What's new

surround sound too low (1 Viewer)

RyanB

Grip
i just got a 36" sony wega (not hd) and a sony home theater in a box surround system (HT 6600 i think - receiver and 5 disc changer). i hooked everything up according to the manual, i think i did anyway, it was kinda hard to understand for a home theater rookie like myself.

the sound is fine when playing a dvd or the tuner (am and fm radio) - volume level 20 is a comfortable listening level for both. when i switch to listen to the tv through the surround system i have to turn the volume on the receiver to the max setting (60) to barely hear it. when switching back to the radio or dvd you to turn it back down to 20 or so for comfortable listening.

anybody have any ideas what might be wrong?

thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
Mke sure your analog audio out on the tv is set to Stereo / fixed. Set your tv speakers to off if allows it also.

RyanB

Grip
thanks for the help John S.

i also got the same advise from Sony but it didn't work. switched from variable to fixed with no change in the volume difference.

have any other ideas? anyone?

thanks

again

JamesCB

Second Unit
My Sony TV, not a Wega but a Trinitron, has two audio outputs on the back: Monitor out and Variable/Fixed out. I set the audio out to fixed and use the Variable/Fixed connection on the back. If you use Monitor out, yoou will get a lower volume output. Hope this helps.

James

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
FYI...

"Variable Audio Output Jacks- this allows the amount of audio signal being sent from your TV to your receiver or amp to be varied with the volume control on your TV remote control. This effectively allows you to vary the volume level of your audio system as you play your TV without the use of a second remote or without getting up for adjustment."

Do you have the volume too low on the TV or remote?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, I would go back a step- how is the audio coming to the receiver? You say the TV mode is too quiet- but don't say what the source of the TV audio is... if you're adjusting the fixed/variable modes on the TV and the audio is actually being supplied directly from a cable box or VCR, then this will make no difference.

Do you have a cable box? Do you have a vcr that you're using to tune the channels? Or do you use the Tv itself to change channels?

If you have a cable/sat box- the audio outputs on that device should be connected directly to the audio input on the receiver- it shouldn't need to go to the TV at all.

If you have a VCR used to tune channels, the same concept applies- the audio output jacks on the VCR should go directly to the receiver...

If you use the Tv itself to tune, in order to get audio from the TV to the receiver- it must have a set of AUDIO OUTPUTs- which I think most of the WEGAs do offer.

These audio outputs come in two flavors: Fixed and Variable. Sometimes a TV set will have both, sometimes one or the other, and sometimes you will have one output that can be switched from variable to fixed via a switch on the back or a user menu...

The fixed kind simply provide the audio from the TV tuner unaltered, and pass it along to the receiver for you. These are the easiest to deal with, and if yours is switchable, it is advised that you select FIXED for your audio output...

If you use variable, the output level sent to the receiver will be dictated by the volume position of the TV. This can be a pain in the butt (having two volume controls)-- but if your set is on "variable" and the volume is down low, it might explain why you don't have much sound.

The other issues to check are:

** Have you tried plugging the TV audio cables into another audio input on the receiver, just to test? There is the possibility there is something wrong with the TV input on the receiver- and so for an experiment, I would try popping it into another input, like CD or VCR or whatever you have available- and try switching to that. Is the volume still too low?

** Have you tried changing the audio cables you're using? While it's unlikely both channels would be bad on an audio cable, it isn't impossible. I might see if you can dig up another set of cables and test that out, just to be sure.

** You should check your manual for any TRIM settings available for the various inputs. Some newer receivers allow you to set a relative volume for each input, so they are closer in level (so if the TV was too loud for example, it could be reduced so you don't blow yourself away switching modes). Make sure yours doesn't have this option, and if it does, that the TV input is not turned down internally relative to the other channels.

** Make sure all dolby processing modes like pro Logic are turned off, for now, while you test. try to take as many variables out of the equation as possible.

Really, your TV level should be noticably louder than DVD (the average level for CD and TV are made to be louder than DVD, there is more info as to why in the FAQ AND PRIMER, if you're interested)-- so if anything the TV should be LOUDEr than the DVD input-- so something is amiss...

-vince

RyanB

Grip
thanks for the info vince

i do have a vcr and cable box hooked up as well. the vcr is there just in case i ever want to watch a vhs - it isn't used to tune the channels. i use the cable box remote to change the channels but i don't think i have that hooked up to the tuner like you suggest.- i think it is hooked up directly to the tv. i'm don't recall what types of inputs and outputs are on the back of my cable box.

i'll have to check that out when i get home tonight.

my wega does have a menu setting for variable and fixed audio and i do have it set to fixed.

thanks again

Ryan

RyanB

Grip
alright - I have given up on hooking up my HT.

I have a 36" Sony Wega (not HD) with a Sony 5 disc changer, Sony receiver, cable box, and VCR.

I give up on trying to hook it up. When listening to the TV through the surround sound system the volume is WAY WAY WAY too low, but listening to a DVD or the radio the volume is normal.

I'm also not sure how to hook everything up for the most convenient use - i.e. - use a few remotes as possible when turning components on/off and switching sources.

Is there anyone in the N Dallas area that hooks up home theaters for a living? I'm in Lewisville and would be willing to pay a reasonable price for some assistance.

Thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Check to see if you have variable or fixed output for your audio outs on the TV. If it is set to variable, you may need to change to fixed or (if there are no fixed) raise the volume of the set to increase the line output of the variable outs.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The different sources have different output levels. TVs output at lower volume than DVD players. Just adjust the volume accordingly. No big deal.

RyanB

Grip
I do have the tv set to "fixed"

I understand that different sources have different output levels but when your volume level range is 0-60 and you have it on 25 to hear a DVD or the radio comfortably but then you have to put it to the max (60 - literaly the max) to hear the tv comfortably something isn't right.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Jack- I would normally agree, but since he said the radio was fine, this leads me to think there is a problem: radio level and TV level should be about the same.
Immediately the question is: WHERE IS THE TV AUDIO COMING FROM? If you use a cable box, the idea would be to run audio lines off the cable box (if it offers them) and into the receiver. This should solve the problem (make sure if the cable box has it's own volume control that it is turned up).
If the cable box has no outputs, then you're probably getting a line output from the TV directly. If so, there should either be 2 sets of outputs (variable and fixed) or a way in the Tv menus to toggle them. If you find the toggle, set it to FIXED and you should be fine.
Of course, this was the same advice I gave the first time you asked:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=177038
So i guess it wasn't much help, but we never heard back.
-vince

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so you tried the fixed outputs. If you have variable outputs available, try hooking up or toggling to these. WARNING!!! Start with the TV volume control on its lowest setting so you do not overpower the system!! Then gradually increase the TV volume untill the sound is to your prefered level. If you do not have variable level outputs, try the audio outs from your cable/sat box. If the difference is 40dB, you have a problem.

RyanB

Grip
i got a new samsung lcd, sony bravia theater system and hd cable box. hooked em all up and the sound out of the speakers when watching tv is really really low. i have to put the volume on max to barely hear it. if i switch over to dvd or fm/am then it blows you away.

why can't i get the tv volume through the speakers louder?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
How do you have the TV sound hooked up?
It sounds like you might be using L/R analog cables and TV's sometimes have 2 outputs: a line-level and one that goes up/down with the TV volume control. Check on this.

RyanB

Grip
i have the cable box connected to the a/v receiver with the white and red cable i think. will have to check tonight.

should i have something coming directly from the tv to the a/v receiver?

i bought the sony bravia theater system - dvd, a/v receiver all in one. i was kinda disappointed with the lack of inouts/outputs on it. it doesn't have half the inouts/outputs my old sony a/v receiver had but i like that it is all in one just not sure how to hook everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks