What's new

Surround Setup (1 Viewer)

graydraon2

Grip
Real Name
Robert Swenson
I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions. I just got a new denon 1712 which is an upgrade from the 6.1 receiver I had. My question is this, I received a matching in-ceiling speaker to the ones I have now and need advice on possible placement.My current setup has the three surrounds sitting over my couch and was wondering about the placement of the 4th one. I was wondering if I place the 4th the same distance apart to the right of the speaker on the right if that would be too far to the right. You cant tell from the pic but they are equal distance apart. My current setup has the right speaker over the right edge of the couch.I can only go to the right as the wall is only a few feet from the left speaker. Any advice would be appreciated.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If I can assume that your listening location is on that back wall then I would recommned doing nothing, as adding another speaker won't give you much rear separation anyway. If your listening position is in front of the wall, then you currently have the speakers placed incorrectly; the 2 surrounds should be moved forward, leaving the center rear. If this is the case then to go to 7.1 you could remove the center rear and place it and the new speaker wide of your listening position. That would leave your rears a little wide, but I don't thing it's worth moving them.

graydraon2

Grip
Real Name
Robert Swenson
Thanks for the response and yes my seating position is against the wall so like you said I should be fine as is

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
One clarification to my original suggestion - by do nothing I meant don't change your speaker layout But if the Denon is an upgrade (you don't mention your current receiver) you might do well by swapping it out, but still running 6.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks