What's new

Surge Indicator? (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Something fell behind my desk and when I got it I noticed the "Surge Indicator" LED on one of my power bars was on.

What does this mean? I do have almost 20 things connected in that power bar (via 2 other power bars conencted to it), is it overloaded?

What am I suposed to do? I'm not gonna stop using my things cause that LED is on.

Thanks

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Anyone has a real answer? Most of the things connected are small transformers that dont take much power at all, the only 2 "real" things conencted are my PC and monitor, all the rest is tranformers for the modem, printer, etc.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Doesnt anyone knwo what that surge led means? someone told me it means the fuse is still good, I dont think thats right. Doesnt it mean its overloaded?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Why not try taking some of the load off of it and see if the light goes off? If it does, then you know it's overloaded.

If you've got other power strips plugged into a power strip, I'd say you have it overloaded no matter what you haved plugged into it. There is a limit to how much you can run off of one circuit.

Unload it a piece at a time and see if it goes away.

Aside from that, look up the manufacturer website and see what the LED means from there.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
On most surge suppressors with a "surge" or "protection" indicator, it means the surge suppression is still functioning. If that LED goes out, then it's no longer protecting from surges (because the MOV took a hit, shorted out, and blew the fuse). As long as it's lit, it's in good shape.

Of course the labeling is misleading, if the light says "surge" rather then "protection".

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks