What's new

Support the Star Wars OT on DVD campaign! (1 Viewer)

I'm sorry to have to say this, but why isn't everyone respecting the director's intent on this one. This film belongs to George Lucas, not the fans. We are always complaining OAR and seeing it the way the director intended. If a new director's cut with added features is how the direct wants it then that's how he gets it.

I respect the director's intent. If it wasn't for George Lucas Star Wars would not be in existence today. Personally I would like to see a lot of movies upgraded with new special effects or dialog. I didn't hear anyone complaining when Star Wars was remixed with a new soundtrack for the LD. If George Lucas issued the original trilogy in it's original form with the mono or Dolby soundtrack you guys would be screaming blood for the Dolby Digital mix. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Double standards I say. If I were the director of a film and I heard this stuff going on I would be appalled.

Hector X. Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Mark:

Thank you for your comment. In fact, I do not know for certain what his exact quote would be in this regard. It is known that he announced that the Original Trilogy would not be available on DVD. From his statement, one can infer that he meant that the Trilogy would never be available again in any format, but it was not explicitly stated one way or the other.

He did not mention HD-DVD specifically, but I don't feel that the comment about next-generation home video format is holding him to anything speficic. The tone and spirit of the letter is about persuading him to make the Original Trilogy available on DVD in this case.

That said, I think we need to discuss the scope of what it is we are seeking. Are we seeking DVD versions. Or will we accept him skipping DVD altogether and producing the films on HD-DVD?

I welcome opinions, but my own personal thought is that the DVD format should not be skipped and we should focus on seeing them released on DVD. HD-DVD would open up a giant can of worms and steer us down a vague path.

There is an established DVD consumer base out there right now and that is what we are addressing, is it not?

-Hector

:)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If George Lucas gets the picture that fans want BOTH versions, instead of being anti-new cut or OT-only oriented, he'll probably re-consider.

Insults like "you owe us," "HAN SHOOTS FIRST DAMNIT!, "Lucas shouldn't f*** with things," and "f*** the special editions" is going to make us look like idiots.

I'll probably sign the next petition because I'd rather sign one in support of having a DVD with both versions and without the childish retorts.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

Please help Hector shape his letter into a
presentation that will be acceptable my most
everyone. At this point, his letter will be
the "cause" for which a new petition will be
built around.

Here's the latest....

We don't want to use the existing petition. It
is already marred by childish comments and signatures.

We are working with the original petition author,
Jay Sylvester, to start a new petition that we have
the ability to edit, should anyone post silly or
crude comments to it.

The software we need for this petition will take
a week or two to build. Jay is working on that.
Once the software is in place, both The Digital
Bits
and HTF will begin advertising
the new petition. I will also use our Newsletter
to send out requests for signatures amongst our
35,000 members.

We will also push othyer DVD websites (DVD TALK,
DVD FILE, DVD REVIEW, etc.) to join the cause.

We are really trying to do this right. We want it
to look professional. The only way to accomplish
this is by giving us time to get the software built
and all the promotional pieces in place.

In the meantime, please continue signing the
petition already in place.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I think JonZ's point should be included:
"In 1988, the (United States) Library of Congress established the National Film Preservation Board, to preserve film deemed "culturally, historically, or esthetically important"".

Star Wars was added in 1989. The Special Edition is not the same film that was added in 1989.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
That's great Ron. Thanks for pulling all of us together and gathering constructive feedback to get the OT on DVD.

The more sites and hopefully print mediums you can get to support this, the better.

Bob

Hector X. Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Dave F:

If I may respectfully counter your suggestion that we mention the Library of Congress item only in a positive light.

I think that there should be no overt criticism of his works in this letter. The Library of Congress item has the potential to be read as overly critical of his decisions. My opinion is that in order for the letter to stand any chance of being received favorably, its tone should be one of praise for his work to date and to try to persuade him to reconsider his release of his original work.

What does everybody else think on this?

I do like Patrick's suggestion that we suggest a dual release option. One that does not negate the Special Edition or suggest an Original Trilogy bias.

I will try to incorporate these items and I will post a second draft of the letter sometime tomorrow.

I am completely in favor of a redirected effort to clean up the petition software and to present a unified front by the Internet community.

Perhaps marshalling the help of TheForce.net and others would make the most sense.

-Hector

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I read Hector’s first draft and it’s very good. I just didn’t like this part.

We are also aware that we likely represent a comparatively small percentage of the total market demand for any eventual video offering and that it would be fiscally irresponsible of you to release any product based purely on the whim of ultra-passionate Star Wars fans.
We don’t know that. I say remove it. Remember that E.T. the original version was available for the mass market and the average guy. I think it is *may be* not a bad idea to include how Spielberg decided to make available the original E.T. for absolutely everyone in an ordinary DVD package without any extra money or hoopla!

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Also my opinion is that we don’t talk about the Special Editions at all in the petition. Just to say that we want the original versions, is enough. I just dread the idea that he release them as a kind of supplement DVD (Like the Brazil set) in inferior quality and non anamorphic alongside a special edition DVD just to show how supposedly wonderful the new special editions are! We just have to pass the idea that it is not a supplement for us or a behind-the-scene document (again like the 3th DVD of the Brazil set). We want the original movies and we want to watch them as movies and enjoy them as movies, not to study them!

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Hector,

I've already been contacted by theforce.net. They're behind our efforts 100%. I'm getting e-mails from other Star Wars fan sites too, pledging their support. I think this is going to be big. I'm excited to be working with the likes of HTF and The Digital Bits to make this happen :)

Very well written letter btw. I'd like to add that I also agree that requesting the OT in addition to the Special Editions is much more likely to get us a positive result. We already know the Special Editions are coming, regardless of what anyone's opinion of them might be.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some coding to do...

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ron, I agree the petition should be professionally presented without the fanboy immature comments. I've been a Star Wars fan since 1977 and would definitely like the OT offered on DVD. I would also purchase any other versions if offered, even if the OT was released. I had signed the other petition, but look forward to the new version and you can count on my Signature! I appreciate the opportunity to stand up and be counted.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Hector,

JonZ's point is purely empirical - the S.E. is not the same film as the film inducted into the national treasury of films. Preservation of the film and our cultural heritage is precisely the point of the both the Library of Congress program and our desire to have the original films on DVD. By aligning ourselves with the goals of the National Film Preservation Board, we bring an air of legitimacy to this effort.

If by mentioning this we are being overly critical of Lucas' decisions, then what is the petition saying?

-Dave

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hector

Very well structured and well thought out.

Jay

How about contacting other forums like the UKDVDForums in helping you get more support in the UK & Europe, so that there is a worldwide effort and not just a US led effort. This will also help our cause

Oscar

:emoji_thumbsup:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't care how they release the original versions, but I think separate releases would make more sense. This would keep the price down on each version, allow fans the option and likely yield the highest possible financial return for Lucas et al.

I think the letter is terrific, but I would make one thing a bit more clear: There are some people who definitely will not buy any of the DVDs if the original version is not included (like myself).

The more you emphasize financial loss resulting from not releasing the originals, the better (while of course maintaining the curteous and professional tone you have going).

:emoji_thumbsup:

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I signed a while ago. Number 1306, IIRC.

When I signed, I noticed the same thing Ron did, which was all the juvenile comments that were made that will eventually hinder our efforts. So, without a doubt, I will help out in any way I can, even if it's just a simple signature.

I also wish to acknowledge both Jay and Hector. The former for jump-starting this and the latter for his well written letter.

I wish to also point out that a snail-mail campaign should be initiated as soon as a viable address is made available. In a day and age where voicing one's concerns from an Internet connection requires little effort (although not devoid of any worth), the time and effort required to physically write an intelligent and constructive letter would most certainly be effective in conjunction with the on-line petition(s). It would actually give Lucas (or whoever), the opportunity to match petition signers with their corresponding letters.

Furthermore, if most would agree to actually write a letter, then I would suggest that we all come up with a date to actually mail our letters. Having a bulk of letters reaching Lucasfilm (as opposed to a couple here and couple there) would seem more effective, IMO.

Anyways, what do you think?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The mailing of the letters on the same day is ok, but it would be better if somone near there could run a test and have members from different parts of the country write him and he can see how many days they take to get there.

The goal would be to have all of the letters arrive at the nearest post office to the ranch on the same day. Yes, I am sure that some would miss, but I think that the post office there is not that big, and this will create a major problem, possibly resulting in a news story on TV.

Glenn

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
You are correct. Getting all the letters there within a relative time frame is the goal. What an interesting project. :)

I would be more than happy to write a test letter from Philadelphia. But first, we need a volunteer who lives somewhere near the area to recieve it. Also, volunteers from areas that plan to contribute are also needed.

I think the target time-frame should be within the range of a week, no?

Is there anyone who lives somewhat near Marin County CA willing to help conduct this experiment for the posterity of all mankind? ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
From his statement, one can infer that he meant that the Trilogy would never be available again in any format, but it was not explicitly stated one way or the other.
Hector,
First off, I am writing this to try and help and not to cause problems because I (along with so many others) want this letter to be as effective as it possibly can.

I understand what you mean about wanting the OT on DVD (and not skipping it for to wait for HD-DVD), but that wasn't where I was going with my comment. I just wonder if it's wise to put the words "or any next-generation home video format in the future", since he did not specifically say that, he might take it the wrong way. The part about not being issued on DVD is fine because that's what he said.

A professional letter must not make any assumptions or interpret the original comment in any way. And since that sentence is right at the top of the letter, you may lose credibility FAST.

I think we can all assume that Lucas's comment meant that he will never release the OT in any shape or form ever, but we can't argue effectively when we make assumptions (even if they are wrapped around facts). Stick to what is 100% definite and your point will be more effective.

Hopefully I'm not being too anal, it's just that I want these on DVD SO badly! and ASAP!

p.s. I also don't think the people who are requesting the original versions of these films are saying Lucas can't update them, in fact, I want BOTH versions as much as I want one over the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks