What's new

SUPERNATURAL - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Your throwing in the towel on Supernatural, Greg? I thought you loved this show?

Yeah, that blonde demon that keeps taunting Sam is damn fine and so is that new smart-ass hunter that tried to sell dad's rabbits foot last week.

Line that made me keel over laughing and one I will be using from now til the end of my days..."ass that'll fit on a nickel." lol. :laugh:

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

You're quitting? :eek:

I think it's been a great season so far. Much better than what we were seeing this same time last year.

I loved seeing Bobby. I would have no problem with him joining the cast on a more permanent basis. Glad to see they got the Colt up and running again. :D

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
the Dick Cheney reference was stupid...tv writers should keep their politics to themselves...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying the show this season. It has slowly grown from something that I'd record and watch when I got the chance into something that I look forward to each week and either watch live or before I go to bed on Thursday.

I thought the Dick Cheney reference was in character with something that Dean would say (and a relatviely easy joke on the part of the writers). I'm sure Dick will get over it.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Dean didn't say it..and it has nothing to do with whether or not Dick gets over it - who cares? Personal politics do not belong in mindless entertainment, period.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yep, and that's why I'm out. If you can't respect the man, respect the office. If you can't respect the office, respect the viewer. They were on thin ice with their twisted depiction of my religion anyway.

I didn't mention my reasons for bailing earlier because I didn't want it to become some big thing. Mock me for a few messages if you must, but then go on back to talking about the show. That'd be better for the thread in the long run, I guess.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Greg-

I respect your position and am slowly moving that way myself. It's too bad - this show could walk a finer balance on the whole good and evil portrayal but so far that has not happened.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It was interesting, but I worry when stuff like that starts showing up. Although the show has had continuity from the start, I like the original hook of Sam & Dean hunting down nasty bits of folklore, one per episode, and while the more structured stuff has been good, I've seen too many shows collapse under their own weight by piling too much of it on.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's a thin line, but:

Emphasis added. It's a discussion of something from the show, so it can be discussed if done so with a certain amount of care. To me, that would mean it's inappropriate to discuss our own views of Dick Cheney, but discussing whether a show should alienate a certain segment of the viewership with a line that was completely unnecessary is in line with forum policy. I don't know that it's fodder for extended conversation, however.

My buddy Lauren, who reads here but hasn't posted in a while, has given me cause to rethink my decision to drop the show whole hog. I'm not 100% back on board, but I'm thinking about it. It's not easy to walk away from a show that was my ultimate favorite this time last year. I am definitely skipping the final issue of the comic book, though. Thing sucked totally anyway.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

You have got to be kidding with this aren't you? Seriously, I am concerned. Jeffery threw out the exact name that went through my head when I read your question.

Dude, you may have a career as a TV writer ahead of you...

Clearly, some of you should re-watch the show as you keep forgetting that one tiny detail - Dean didn't say it. Not that it makes the line any less out of place, but at least get your facts straight.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree completely. I saw no problem when you and ChristopherG were saying that you didn't like the Dick Cheney comment. We were talking about a person who is in politics and not about his politics. While I found it to be innocuous, I can see that some people wouldn't like the comment.

Unfortunately, it's gone from discussing the man and turned into posts about the Bible and Christians supporting Bush and Cheney. And that's exactly what I knew was coming when I last posted.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You're right. I don't think the thread is in danger of being closed, but I think a cleanup and a warning are both coming.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
After all this I feel better now having dumped the show this season after the second episode.

My complaint was less controversial than currently being discussed. I felt the two male leads were inadequate to carry this series, especially Jensen Ackles. I'll leave it at that since I know he has many fans here and elsewhere.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
An accurate prediction. There will be no further discussion of sitting politicians or the nature of Christianity in this thread. Since the participants aren't able to restrain themselves, they should simply leave those topics alone.

M.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I was a big fan of that as well. I actually liked the idea of it not having much of an ongoing storyline. I think season 1 found the perfect balance. Not surprising since they have so many X-File people on the show. The X-Files always had about the same balance between their arc stories and stand-alone monster of the week stuff.

I'm still enjoying the show, but I'm getting really tired of seeing black-eyed demons every week.

It looks like I missed all the Cheney fun. :laugh: Without going into any detail, I thought that line really stood out and kind of pulled me out of the show for a minute (my wife agreed). It just felt like a deliberate jab and I would have preferred for it to have hit the cutting room floor instead. It has nothing to do with being for or against a political figure really. I would have felt wrong with any politician. It just really felt out of place. Oddly enough I would have probably laughed had they picked on a celebrity instead. That would have been "funny" instead of "preachy" to me. And yes, that is a double standard. On another show (last year's Studio 60 for example), it wouldn't have bothered me and been expected. But I could have done without it here.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

That's just about exactly what a friend of mine said when I told him about the scene. He'd never even heard of the show, but he said, "In the old days, they would have gotten a good laugh at that in the writers' room and then promptly cut it from the script."

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Without belaboring the point and inviting censure I think you nailed it for me too - I love mindless fantasy for my entertainment, be it movies or TV. I rarely go for movies that depict the human condition or detailed character studies of some realistic human drama - I live that shit. When I go to the movies or waste time on the boob tube - I want escapism. That line did exactly what you said - I am still mad about it. Don't piss in my escapism corn flakes, damn it!

And all the other reasons re: respect for the office etc.

whew, I think I am done now. No, really.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Geez guys, talk about overreaction. I looked up the thing on You Tube, it's just a silly jab at a political figure. My goodness I was expecting some kind of political statement/lecturing/preaching. Christ in Heaven folks are getting offended over that? Are you for real? Wow.

The graver offense here is that the line wasn't even funny. It's been done much better elsewhere. The key to getting it right to say the name in passing (like embedding it in the list of names), not focusing on and drawing attention to it like they did.

Kinda like in Men In Black, where at the headquarters, Stallone and Michael Jackson appear on a monitor in the background (directly implying that they are ET; calling attention to them would have ruined the effect).

--
H

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

After the last couple of posts, my crystal ball is warming up again!

Well, Big H, we have something in common. Neither of us watch Supernatural. ;)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
If you didn't watch the show then you have no real context for your remarks, as a simple clip doesn't recreate the situation. Accordingly, I will discount your comments as immaterial to the discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks