Supernatural ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rakesh.S, Sep 13, 2005.

1. James T

James T Screenwriter

I just got around to watching this episode and I thought it was great. I knew next to nothing about this show, but saw a thread on another forum about how great it was.

Those are the reasons why I like the show. I like long story arcs that don't get wrapped up in a few episodes(kinda what you want, it seems). That's why I loved watching a shows like Angel/Buffy. They plant the seeds early on and expand greatly on it. Some of their storylines took them beyond a season.

2. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

It was an okay show. It wasn't total crap, but it wasn't great either. My one real complaint is neither of these brothers could investigate their way out of a paper bag... every bit of information was practically handed to them on a silver platter. Where's the Scooby Gang when you need them? [​IMG]

I'll keep watching for a few weeks, hoping that it gets better.

3. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

This caught my interest as well. Anything related to horror, I'm there. Let's see how the show does.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Tonights episode (9/20) "Wendigo" was not bad. The show is having the feel of the "monster" episodes of the X-Files. Which is not really a bad thing. Some of the best episodes of the X-Files were monster stories.

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    It was a good one tonight, pretty scary monster to boot. The episode was like a cross between The X Files and Predator.

I'm really loving the chemistry and attitudes exhibited by our two leads, particularly Jensen Ackles, he's got a smart ass what-me-worry attitude that makes him fun to watch.

6. Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel Second Unit

Mark Pytel
    hey due to a faulty VCR, I missed the pilot ep of this show, and threshold. Anyone tape it? If so, anyone willing to make me a copy? Most of my college friends have no time for tv so they don't record, let alone watch any tv. As mentioned above, last week my VCR was on the fritz...I set the tape and timer and it didn't work. I think it was due to a power failure earlier in the week.
    If anyone can help. it'd be greatly appreciated! My e-mail is dvdmrp@comcast.net

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I kinda of like the smartass banter between the brothers. Reminds me of me and my brother. [​IMG]

8. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

Wendigo was alright, not as good as the pilot though.

Hope it gets better [​IMG]

9. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I think is definitely trying to be the new X-files and the characters and dialogue are nowhere near as good.
    Things like the brother yelling, you want the White meat now to the monster sounds like a teen movie mentality.
    Looks like the preview had Amy Acker in it though so I may watch this but I am losing hope in this show real quick.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    You guys are far too jaded. [​IMG] I was totally freaked out by this episode (I'm not big on the outdoors, especially the dense woods, especially at night when *things* are making *sounds* [​IMG] ).

The opening reminded me a little of the beginning of "Dog Soldiers". [​IMG]

I really liked this episode and look forward to the next with great anticipation. [​IMG]

11. Andres Munoz

My DishPlayer was acting up and did not record this! [​IMG]
    Anyone know if WB will re-run it and when?

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I thought it was a nice little episode, but I'd rather the writers come up with their own creature rather than fall back on something like Wendigo; it seems like the writers are just going through a book on the supernatural and taking notes. I predict in future episodes we will see variations on vampires, lake monsters, Chupacabra, and maybe the Man with the Hook thrown in for good measure. But I like this show for what it is - pure monster of the week escapism.

13. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Jordan. I disagree. I like the fact they are using local mythilogical monsters like a Wendigo (something I haven't heard of before). Rather than the standard Demons and Vampires....Of which I am sure we will see eventually.

14. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I don't know if this is a national trend, but my local WB affiliate (KWBT) reruns Supernatural at 4pm on Sundays. This is a godsend because my DVR already has 2 programs at 8pm on Tuesdays (House & Earl) and so this is only way I can see it.

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

That's the whole premise of the show. The brothers travel the country dealing with various regional "urban legends" and myths, most of which turn out to be real.

"Hook Man" is one of the upcoming episodes. "Bloody Mary" is another.

16. Andres Munoz

David, you da man. WB in NYC is re-running Supernatural this Sunday at 5PM. Thanks.

17. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I know, some of these things may be new to some people, but as someone who has written many stories of the weird and all the research that goes into that, it already seems old hat to me, and I only blame that on my own knowledge of the specific genre. But I still like the show.

18. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I'm enjoying this show quite a bit. I thought the pilot was fantastic- creepy and atmospheric throughout and one of the best opening five or ten minutes to television I've seen in quite some time. I'm a fan of David Nutter's work on X-Files' early seasons and like his work here too.

"Wendigo" wasn't nearly as good but was still very enjoyable and very well executed. For those making X-Files comparisons and finding Supernatural seriously lacking, the most comparable early X-Files episode is "Jersey Devil" and "Wendigo" was certainly far better than that lackluster episode. Not that I think "Supernatural" is better than "X-Files" just that "X-Files", like many great shows, took a while to come into its own.

My only beef with "Wendigo" was the whole "Dad never came here he just wants us to carry on in his footsteps." Very weak explanation IMO.

Also, I love that most of the background music so far has been classic rock vice the contemporay stuff so prevalent on other teen shows.

19. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I agree about the music, it fits the personalities of the two brothers, two all American dudes cruising around in a muscle car jamming to classic rock while hunting ghosts and other assorted beasts...cool.

As a sidenote, has anyone else noticed how similar this show is, both in tone and feel, to Phantasm II? That's a very good thing IMO. [​IMG]

20. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    todd s wrote (post #24):

With the early X-Files, one always got the sense that there was more to the situation than met the eye, and, in fact, more to it than any human being could ever fathom. Here, so far, at least, I get the sense there's considerably less. Idiotic "dude-speak", "hip-cool", and all the rest of the by now usual "hooks" that Hollywood peppers these programs and films with are killers to the ambience that produces a true mood of horror.

Using the Wendigo
    -concept was, in my opinion, a very good idea, but the actualization is highly flawed. Is the monster a "man-beast" driven by hunger-madness to hunt and eat human flesh, as the (popular) version of the legend would have us believe, or is it some kind of calculating fiend that can "store" its victims to keep them fresh for the next meal? On that point the writing seems to be a bit confused.

And, if there's one thing that will kill a horror story dead, it's a whimpy ending, and this one has it. The monster revealed looks more comical than scary, like something from Joe Dante's crappy redo of "It's a Good Life" in Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983). Better to have kept the final scenes in the dark and never to have shown the monster directly. (Now there's an "original" idea for Hollywood!) And, too, it seems to have been disposed of with far too much facility. ("Every 'monster' has its weakness." Oh, yeah!) So much for the "horror".

Hopefully, they'll perfect the weekly realization of their formula so that, in future, concepts with this kind of potential can carry their episodes through, at least in scenes without the demographics-heavy "hooks".

I wouldn't bet on the long-term survival of this one, though.