Supernatural DVD - all music cleared!!!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jay_B!, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I received a review copy a few days ago and have made it halfway through the DVD (I saw all the episodes originally on WB, but it's a show I like to watch again) and as of episode 12, all of the music has been preserved.

Why do I post this? Supernatural uses a TON of classic rock music, the same music that is keeping WKRP and Wonder Years from coming out on DVD. In the first 12 episodes, everything from AC/DC, Def Leppard and Ratt to Bad Company, Rush and Blue Oyster Cult to even the very recent Fall Out Boy has been transferred to the DVD flawlessly. I already snuck a peek at the last two episodes and episode 21 still has the Kansas "Carry On Wayward Son" series recap and episode 22 still has "Bad Moon Rising" playing during it's final moments.

I just figured this was worth posting since I know from the moment Supernatural premiered that people were curious if music rights would affect the DVD, and from the looks of it, Warner successfully got everything taken care of. Now I am looking forward to see if season 3 of One Tree Hill (same network, DVD company and season) will still have the Led Zeppelin song that played during its cliffhanger finale.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Thanks. Good to hear. It's bound to be a done deal, but could you make sure Triumph's "Fight the Good Fight" is on the last episode recap? If everything else is there, it will be. This is what happens when you have a modern show that clears home video rights at the same time they clear them for the broadcast. Of course, it's not always 100%--witness Las Vegas and the loss of the Elvis song.

Glad to hear about Bad Company. That was one of my favorite musical moments of the entire season.

3. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

just checked, the Triumph song is there at the recap at the beginning of episode 22

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Thanks! Sounds like it's going to be a great set. I'll probably buy it right off and try to time my viewing of it to the season 2 premiere at the end of September.

5. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I agree, definately worth the rewatch.

I am surprised that Supernatural hasn't quite gotten a huge following here yet, I think anyone who watches Buffy/Angel or The X-Files should definately love the show.

6. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Awesome news Jay_B. Thx for the info. Love this show. [​IMG]

7. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

Buffy? - check
    Angel? - check
    The X-Files? - check
    Supernatural: Season 1? - Can't get here soon enough.

I don't know if I would say it was the best show on TV last year, but it was certainly the one I most looked forward to each week. It was just plain fun. [​IMG]

8. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    When "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida" plays during "Skin", my jaw just about dropped open and I was officially in love with the show.

9. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I think it's great this show premiered at a time when TV-DVD was becoming commonplace and shows were premiering with the idea that it will likely be released on DVD within a year. Had Supernatural premiered ten or even five years ago, it likely would've suffered countless musical replacements (ala Popular, Roswell and many other WB shows that aired at the turn of the century) OR be in DVD-purgatory alongside Wonder Years and WKRP. But premiering in 2005, I think Kripke knew that if the show would catch on at all, that a DVD release would be inevitable, so I commend Warner and Kripke for getting everything taken care of and negotiated with as soon as the songs were licensed for the episode, instead of it becoming another show tied up in music rights hell.

10. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Excellent news, although I figured as much given WB's recent track record in getting the original music licensed for the DVDs of their shows.

The music on Supernatural was one of the things I kept looking forward to each week. Plus the fact that the show kicks some major butt!

Can't wait to get this next week, I have it pre-ordered from Amazon!

11. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

Wow, I just finished off watching the season earlier this summer, and as I was watching, I kept thinking, man, what's going to happen with the music on the dvd? It's good to hear that it's intact, because I definitely feel it would have changed the mood significantly to replace it. I'll probably have to pick up the dvds now. (Wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed the show, although she wasn't really willing to watch it too late in the evening [​IMG] ).