What's new

SuperMoon! (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
Digicams can zoom so closely now that their videos can demonstrate the rotation of the earth in real time:

I think that demonstrates as much the moon orbiting the earth as the rotation of the earth. ;)

Anyway, that is pretty amazing the amount of reach you can get these days with a super zoom point & shoot camera.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Screenshot from 2015-07-29 23_26_18.png

An awesome moon photo taken by my fraternity brother Bernie on the left, 30 seconds editing by me on the right!
I've always said I'm a better editor than I am creator =)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As I pulled into my driveway tonight getting home from golf league, the moon looked so impressive over my neighbor's house that I thought I would give it a try. This is my first attempt at shooting the moon. I used my Canon 7D2, 100-400L II and Canon 1.4x III teleconvertor. I cropped the shot some more in Lightroom.

NC7A0753-X3.jpg

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Sam Posten said:
I have a very similar vintage one from Vivitar that rules!

I wasn't too impressed with the quality -- not particularly sharp. I might have been better off using a modern lens and cropping.

Here's a shot with a modern zoom and cropped pretty heavily.

I guess I'll have another chance when I'm 60. :D

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Sorry the weather didn't cooperate for everyone.

I don't have a camera worthy of this task, but the eclipse and the incredibly clear night sky were stunning. I live in an area with little or no light pollution (lots of trees, but at my house the moon rises in just the right place), and last night was just exceptional.

The moon was mind-blowing just through binoculars. Even to the naked eye it looked positively three-dimensional. And the stars...? Why, there's a veritable shitload of those things up there.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Scott Merryfield said:
I really like that first shot, Cameron!

It was too cloudy at my house -- I couldn't even see the moon last night. :angry:
Thanks, Scott. I only wish it were sharper, but sounds like I should be thankful I had clear skies in my area.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cameron Yee said:
Thanks, Scott. I only wish it were sharper, but sounds like I should be thankful I had clear skies in my area.

The colors outweigh the sharpness issues, Cameron. That is such an interesting color for the moon -- wish we had clearer skies.

The funny thing is I was watching the Lions - Broncos Sunday Night Football debacle, and they showed the eclipse during the game and the announcers said it was a clear night. I went back outside to double check, and all I saw was complete cloud cover and no moon. So, either it was much clearer in downtown Detroit (about 30 miles away) or the announcers were lying and the network was showing an image from another location. You certainly could not see the eclipse from inside the stadium, since Ford Field is a covered stadium.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The colors outweigh the sharpness issues, Cameron. That is such an interesting color for the moon -- wish we had clearer skies.

Thanks for the perspective.

And haha, the "magic" of TV.

There's a location in town where most people go to sky gaze. It's interesting because it's in the city, but in a location where there's very little light pollution. Plus, it's on top of a water reservoir. But I've seen two posts from friends saying that half the city was there last night.

Next full moon, I think I'll try renting a telephoto zoom. I've never used anything with that much reach, so it should be interesting! And hopefully mother nature will cooperate.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cameron,

I would look for something different than that Tamron 200-500 for rental. Either the Tamron 150-600 or Sigma 150-600 stabilized lenses are newer with better optics. I can't imagine either would cost much more to rent for a couple of days.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, I saw there was an updated version, so will target that one for next time.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I am a complete amateur but I managed to get two halfway decent shots(out of 100 taken) using a Canon EOS 650D and a 75-300 IS lens.

I managed to get some stars in this bloodmoon pic. Not sure if you can see them here in this photobucket upload. I wish it was sharper. It was sure hard getting a good focus with the moon in eclipse and I had to constantly wipe the dew off of the lens.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Good job!

As far as focusing, you can manual focus at infinity and then you don't have to fight with the system hunting for focus lock.

Exposure with the full moon is pretty straightforward (sunny f/16 as baseline), but it took a bit of experimenting to figure out how many stops got lost with the eclipse. And too long of an exposure and then there's motion blur.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks