What's new

Superman: The Ultimate Collection DVD Set (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Right before the first disc was released in 2001 (i'm talking a week or so before) TCM ran the theatrical cut with the new 5.1 soundtrack. I would assume they made both transfers at the same time and that's the one we'll be seeing in the new set.

Just the fact the transfer is new or remastered is guarantor of quality. I have some big problems with some of the Bond transfers in the new sets, and those had all the big keywords as far as hype goes (4K scans of the original elements, Lowry clean up, yadda yadda yadda). The first disc/transfer may be going on 5 years old now, but it looks a hell of a lot more natural and film-like than the one for The Spy Who Loved Me in the Bond set.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
What id like to know is superman 2 , not the donner cut, but the 2 disc dvd theatrical version coming out if it will have a new transfer ?

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
I got the set last week (region 3) and watched Superman 2 (Donner Cut) and Superman Returns. Haven't looked at the other films yet so can't comment on the video quality. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the Donner Cut. They did a great job and dovetails perfectly with Superman the Movie.

The new extras are excellent, especially the You Will Believe: The Cinematic Saga of Superman doc.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I've wondered about that too. We do know it will have a 5.1 track, but not sure if the video will be any better. I would think the compression will be better for all of the original movies since those DVDs came out over five years ago and authoring has improved since then.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
Somebody on Dharmesh's message board has the R3 set and he's saying that S:TM *doesn't* include the original theatrical sound mix.

http://thecinemaforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4512

I really hope either a) he's mistaken, or b) the original English audio was deleted from the R3 disc only, possibly to accomodate another language option. According to the guy, it does include English, Spanish, and Portuguese tracks...

Amazon's specs don't say anything about Spanish or Portuguese audio, so maybe that is the explanation.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
So, has anyone else received their copy of Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition? If so, was the same erroneus Superman III DVD included? I'm quite excited to go through my copy of the collection this weekend, review it, and then just...bask in the awesomeness of it.

It's very interesting that www.capedwonder.com dropped the mention of the errors found on the collection . . .

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

I first heard about this "error" at superherohype.com and the posts kept refering to the same link you mentioned. I went there and could find NO mention of the incorrect 'Superman III' DVD being included in (at least some of) the box sets.

I for one HOPE this is not true (and what a goof-up that would be) but I would think Warner Brothers would immediately get on a replacement program lickety split.

Anyway, until some folks here in region 1 start reporting that this is true, I'm not gonna get too worried at the moment.

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
It is true, I'm afraid. As I posted in the STM audio thread, myself and at least 4 other posters at The DVD Forums have now received the R1 Ultimate Collection from different R1 etailers, and we've all got the wrong Superman III discs. Despite the disc art itself saying 'Deluxe Edition', it contains the old barebones release from years ago.

http://www.thedvdforums.co.uk/forums...&page=31&pp=20

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
With any luck, I'll receive my copy of Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition before the weekend is out. I have my fingers crossed that not every set is affected.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

I'm curious about that, too. Our discs are usually all packed and distributed independently of US releases, so there is some cause for hope. And I know that my local retailer received his shipment of everything *except* the problem cases. (ie. S:TM and the two box sets)

I'll post here as soon as I find anything out.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

I'm wondering if this problem only affects the box set. Will the individual release of part III have the wrong disc as well? Something to keep an eye out for.

and Warner Brothers? I hope you will rectify the situation promptly should MY box set have the same problem as well. Get that 800 number up and running asap!

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

Supposedly the individual release and the Christopher Reeve Superman Collection both include the correct Superman III disc. It's only the Ultimate set that's affected.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Well, as soon as all of us get this on Tuesday, it sounds like it's time for a HOME THEATER FORUM grassroots disc-exchange program!

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

I've posted something on the errors and included two samples of audio which prove just how bad the 2001 audio is.

As far as I know, Superman 2 Lester Cut is a better transfer. S3 and S4 are the same according to reports.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks