What's new

Superfriends, Batman, Justice League and X-Men, April 22 (1 Viewer)

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
WB has announced a 4/22/2003 release date for the following:
Challenge of the Superfriends
A nostalgic compilation of the classic 1978 TV cartoons. Superman leads a superhero team comprised of the greatest DC Comics superheroes against a team of 13 of the most notorious DC Comics supervillians. Episodes include: Wanted The Superfriends, Invasion of the Fearians, The World's Deadliest Game, The Time Trap, Trial of the Superfriends
Batman Animated Series: Tales of the Dark Knight
Justice League: Justice on Trial
X-Men: Evolution/Mutants Rising
Each one retails for $19.98.
Menu Screenshots

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Thanks Anthony, great news about Superfriends! According to Pazsaz, these are the first five episodes from the Challenge Of The Superfriends season. Can't wait!

James Reader

Screenwriter
I hope the Batman release continues to release the cartoons IN ORDER - but judging from the name I doubt it, I would expect a vol 2 somewhere if they were. :frowning:
I don't want BATMAN:TAS going the same way as Scooby Doo with single episodes duplicated over minimal releases.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Alright! Though I must say that I would have loved a two disc set of the Superfriends with all the 13 shows, I will be more than happy with this for I am sure they are 'testing' the waters!

What is this JL title they speak of....

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully they will release ALL of the Superfriends episodes and shorts eventually. I would buy a comprehensive box set in a heartbeat!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I hope the Batman release continues to release the cartoons IN ORDER - but judging from the name I doubt it, I would expect a vol 2 somewhere if they were. :frowning:
While I agree that I hope it's the next five episodes, and also I agree that it is very likely a "best of", I wouldn't give up hope yet... the first disc was called "The Legend Begins" so perhaps they are still releasing them in episode order, only with a serialized name for each release.
I'll be awaiting further details on this... it's the only one of the four I'd be interesting in buying.

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone here know why in the current version of the superfriends Hawkman is a woman? Back when we had Marvin the WonderDog I swear Hawkman was a man. Was there always a Hawkwoman? Or is he/she one of these new-agey makeovers and therefore transgendered?

James Reader

Screenwriter
While I agree that I hope it's the next five episodes, and also I agree that it is very likely a "best of", I wouldn't give up hope yet... the first disc was called "The Legend Begins" so perhaps they are still releasing them in episode order, only with a serialized name for each release.
Yeah, I know about the 'Legend Begins' subtitle on the first release. I would expect a sequential next release to drop the subtitle and just be 'Batman the Animated Series Vol II' or such like.
If they are still doing sequential releases, what's the next one going to be sub-titled? 'Shadows of the Bat'? 'Legends of the Caped Crusader'? or the one after that? How are people going to keep them in order?
At best it shows lack of foresight by Warners - at worse it shows their lack of commitment to a proper, ongoing, sequential release?

Todd_B

Second Unit
Anyone here know why in the current version of the superfriends Hawkman is a woman? Back when we had Marvin the WonderDog I swear Hawkman was a man. Was there always a Hawkwoman? Or is he/she one of these new-agey makeovers and therefore transgendered?
I do believe there was a Hawkwoman in the original..?

Todd B

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'll be dissapointed if the TAS releases break from original order/complete run.

I'm sure to be dissapointed by the lack of 16x9 enhanced video on Justice League.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I hope Batman: TAS is sticking to the production order release. If they want to do serialized titles for each release, fine. They'll probably run out of titles after a while, but stick to the production order.
The Justice League disc sounds like it'll just have 104 & 105 (In Blackest Night) on it. I hope it has more than just 2 episodes on it. At least have 106 & 107 (The Enemy Below) on there as well. If it's just 2 episodes per disc then that'll suck so much. :frowning:

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I want the 1970s Batman cartoon to be released... the one that included Adam West and Burt Ward doing the voices, as well as featuring the characters of Batgirl and *blush* Bat-Mite....

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
I hope Batman: TAS is sticking to the production order release. If they want to do serialized titles for each release, fine. They'll probably run out of titles after a while, but stick to the production order.
Production is great but sort of problematic when it comes to two-part episodes. While there are no problems with "Feat of Clay," "Two-Face" is another issue entirely. The second episode was produced about five or six episodes after the first (but aired consecutively).

De

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
Found more info on this from toonzone:

The eighty-nine minute Justice League DVD is expected to contain the two-part "In Blackest Night," as well as the two-part "The Enemy Below," both episodes with trial-like themes. The Batman DVD has a running time of 112 minutes and looks to be a compilation of animated Batman episodes. The Superfriends DVD, which has a 109 minute running time, will contain the episodes "Wanted: The Superfriends," "Invasion of the Fearians," "The World's Deadliest Game," "The Time Trap," and "Trial of the Superfriends."

There will also be Superman DVDs in the first wave of WB Superhero DVDs, which is expected to hit shelves on Tuesday, April 22, 2003. All of the DVDs will retail for $19.98. For menu shots of the Batman and Superfriends DVDs, go here.

James Reader

Screenwriter
The eighty-nine minute Justice League DVD is expected to contain the two-part "In Blackest Night," as well as the two-part "The Enemy Below," both episodes with trial-like themes.
Does anyone know if these are sequential episodes, or is Warner picking and choosing?

Even if they are sequential - 4 episodes? Jeez, it will take forever for the series to come out!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
WOW!
Superfriends.
I will purchase this ASAP.
I will also pick up Justice League.
Looks like 2003 is already shaping up pertty good for TV stuff:)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I just ADORED Batman TAS and New Adventures and just got about 50 episodes on ebay (on VHS:frowning:)
Im hoping Tales will be more episodes in order and not a "best of". sigh!

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I am with you Matthew! Those are long overdue, the Batman's that ran on CBS and NBC in the late 70's and early 80's. Those were a lot of fun, and if I recall, looked great for the time period!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks