Superbowl: Will HD broadcast include new "Matrix-style" instant replays?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Tannehill, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    One of my Superbowl party guests pointed out an article in today's USA Today regarding a new technique for instant reply. Multiple cameras are placed around the playing field and the action is filmed simultaneously, then played back in "bullet-time" (or perhaps I should say "football time").
    Here's the article.
    Given the history on CBS of broadcasting separate versions of the playoff games, and given the fact that there is only one of these new playback systems, will the HD broadcast include it?
    Uh oh...
    - Steve

2. Gerald C

Gerald C Auditioning

Bob Ross (VP CBS - New York) responded to this question on avsforum. The answer is "no"; the multi-angle gimmick will only be available on the NTSC broadcast.
    --Gerald C

3. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if it occurred to them that they could still show the NTSC high tech replays on the HDTV broadcast. How hard could it be.
    ------------------
    Frank...
    Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

4. Gerald C

Gerald C Auditioning

I'm not in the TV business, but I imagine that the use of replays in live sports requires expert timing and close coordination between the director and the tape operator. Since the HD production will have a separate director, it might be difficult for her to coordinate with the other crew's replay operator. (Of course, it should be no technical problem to insert an NTSC signal via an upconverter into the HD mixer.)
    --Gerald C

5. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

well, i am in the business and when the network i work for does an HD event, it is possible to take anything done on the 4:3 telecast and air it on the HD feed. sometimes certain replay angles are only good on 4:3 decks, and they are then put to air on the HD switcher, albeit with those black bars on the sides [​IMG]

6. Gerald C

Gerald C Auditioning

Mike-- Care to reveal what network you work for?!
    Also, does the HD production director have control over the NTSC replays, or does he just take whatever is available and try to match the timing as best as possible? Does the HD director even have audio/headset of the NTSC director and crew? How would he even know when the replay is about to run?
    --Gerald C

7. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Steve, I'm totally speculating here, but it seems that for any "Matrix style" replay to work, it would take a little bit of post processing to get the various cams to fuse together and make a slick reply.
    If this is case, then maybe it'll just be like Monday Night Football's "Miked Up" where they produce the segment on the fly, and have it available to show in a 30 mins or so in a "recap" segment. If so, that means the chances are pretty good of seeing those replays in both HDTV and the standard broadcast...just a guess though.
    ------------------
    Mike McGee, Inaka Software
    Inaka Software Coupon List