What's new

Superbit strikes again...this time for "Heavy Metal" fans (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...actually, its too bad Elmer Bernstein didnt do the whole score-some of his pieces I liked a lot, like the TIARA theme...some of the art work in this is gorgeous, even if the music is cheese-reminds me of the cheese soundtrack for LADYHAWKE...great movie grindingly generic rock score.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, I finally got around to watching the Superbit Heavy Metal tonight. I rented the original release not too long ago. The source material seems to be the same, but it is much clearer looking now on the Superbit. Many of the compression artifacts are gone; a definite cleaner picture now.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I won't slam you, but I do agree with Kevin's appreciation of the music in the film. I think most of it actually aged very well. It's hard for me to think that Donald Fagen, for example, screwed up his outstanding effort. And the idea that either the Steely Dan sound was lame at the time or that somehow Two Against Nature wasn't just a pretty big recent hit is alien to me.

Open Arms did well outside of the film and remains a classic for Journey fans. It was never one of my favs from the band, but IIRC they were selling a shitload of albums at the time, and not just one hit album.

Cheap Trick, well, I just don't know why someone wouldn't dig catchy Beatles-based power rock, but that's personal taste. Reach Out is one of my favorite by the band period.

Yes the post-Ozzy BS was not as strong, but if they had one classic it was Mob Rules.

Hagar had quite a healthy career into at least the early 90's thanks to his work with Van Halen, and Heavy Metal was one of his best I think. I feel similar about Nazareth, Don Felder, and BOC and their songs on the album.

I won't defend Riggs, but the rest was always a nice mix of FM rock IMO, obviously not Heavy Metal except maybe Sabbath, Hagar and BOC, and that's pushing it.

Vinyl, Casette, CD and now Superbit DVD. It's all good. :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Maybe it's just that Journey got me laid more often than most other groups of the time and I feel indebted...;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Actually, upon re-reading this thread, I have to admit I got rather aggressive on defending the music side of things, Sorry Colin.....ya filty bum.... ;)

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Colin, I read and enjoy your reviews. While I don't agree with your comments on the music, it is your right to express your opinion on your site. Keep up the great work and do what you do best:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks