What's new

SUPERBIT: My 1 Reason To Buy (1 Viewer)

Howard_A

Stunt Coordinator
Even if the picture and sound is only 10% better than the old version I'd still buy it. That's the whole point of a reference-quality disc, right?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
How about the fact that it has a DTS track? Does that mean nothing? (It might actually)
To tell the truth, it is hard to gain more on these transfers, since they were great to begin with.
Jason
------------------
My DVD Collection

Miles

Second Unit
Hey,
I'm surprised they aren't offering 2-disc sets with the "Superbit" version on the first disc and any extras for the second disc... you could include a "Mediumbit" version on the second disc if you really wanted to keep the commentary. I think people would still like to keep their extras, just ensure the first disc is kept for the movie-only...
Miles

Han

Second Unit
I'm surprised they aren't offering 2-disc sets with the "Superbit" version on the first disc and any extras for the second disc... you could include a "Mediumbit" version on the second disc if you really wanted to keep the commentary. I think people would still like to keep their extras, just ensure the first disc is kept for the movie-only...
Here's a silly idea, get the new superbit version and keep the old version with the extras or buy the old version with the extras if you don't have it.
laugh.gif
That's essentially the same thing rather than wishing Columbia would package both versions in one package.
Anyway, I'm taking the Widescreenreview review with a grain of salt... but it worries me that with the one superbit DVD I'm looking into, The Fifth Element, the reviewer doesn't necessarily proclaim the DTS track as the absolute superior audio track.
frown.gif

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I think that RobertR was trying to point out that a single-sided disc, with one play side and one artwork side, is more fragile than a two-sided disc, with two play sides... And he is correct. The data layer is just under the silkscreening and is poorly protected from that side, while it is far better protected from the play side. To prove this for yourself, take one of those pesky AOL CDs and mark on the play side with a ball point pen, it will probably still read. With equal pressure mark on the artwork side, you probably just ruined it.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
fair comment,
but who writes on the artwork with a ballpen?
my only observation where double sided discs fair better is hub strength (most dual layer discs bend and crack more).
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Chris, my pen comment was only a demonstrative example. Who bends discs?
wink.gif

That's where you say it happens getting them off the stupid hubs (I agree), and I point out the ball point pen tests may be indicative of accidentally bumping either side into the corner of the players open tray (you agree), yadda, yadda, yadda...
:)
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
How about the fact that it has a DTS track?
I'm a big dts fan, however I'm also a fan of the better sounding track. In this case, if the amount of improvement from the Dolby Digital track is only trivial, why bother? I'm pretty happy with the current version.
I'm going to have to do some more research on these Superbits before I decide to upgrade. I only hope that if/when Starship Troopers is released, a full bitrate dts track will be used.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks