What's new

SUPERBIT: My 1 Reason To Buy (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Single sided!
very simple - I can't stand Columbia's labelling goofs (Air Force One) and vulnerable double-sided discs (Fifth Element).
They both look and side fine as is.
I like my disc artwork, thank you very much.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I want AF1 and T5E which are 2 of my favourite reference films. The others don't interest me.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What's vulnerable about a double sided disc? The label side on a CD or DVD is actually MORE vulnerable than a read side.
------------------

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
After reading the following review of the upcoming superbit of fifth element you may re-consider getting it or maybe not. in my eyes it was gonna take a real improvement in a/v for me to re-purchase and according to this review video is about the same and sound is slightly improved. So to me that equals stick with the one i have. Now i will wait for more reviews before making a final decision.
http://www.widescreenreview.com/newr...thelement.html

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Of course, if you're like me, and still don't own The Fifth Element at all, the Superbit disc should be the one to get, right?
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't own Fifth Element, what is to lose by buying the Superbit version? It's a big win. In the sense that picture quality is better, sound is better, and no pan and scan side. The current version and the superbit version both are barebones, the way I like it. I don't like extras since I don't use them, so it's a waste for me.
This is a good purchase, what is bad though is the coverart (it's ugly, and I love the old fifth element cover) and the price. :)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure what the Widescreen Review review tells us. The original Fifth Element (and Air Force One) were reference DVDs in both video and sound. The new discs double the video bitrate, increase the DD bitrate, and add DTS sound.
Unless they juiced the soundtracks, how much of a difference could there have been? The difference, by definition, has to be subtle, an increase in separation at high frequencies, etc. Same with the picture. I bet if you watch the new disc a couple times, then go back to the original, you'll notice more detail in the backgrounds and such that are thrown out during the compression process.
I'm still on the fence with these reissues myself. Fifth Element is a no-brainer, since the original was featureless. But on other discs, to lose director's commentary, music videos, and even trailers, that in the end don't hurt the bitrate that much, may not warrant replacing the movie for the slight improvements in picture and sound.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you are happy with the current AFO or Fifth Element A/V quality, I can't see why you'd want to have a DVD with a layer change for minimal A/V improvement. Now if you wanted the commentary, then that would be a good reason to upgrade (but you could just rent the Superbit version and listen to the commentary if you were frugal).
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
These reviews are convincing me away from these. With so many great things coming out this fall, I just can't earmark any money for a repurchase. The difference would have to be substantial (like I hope it'll be for Holy Grail) for me to consider it.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Now if you wanted the commentary, then that would be a good reason to upgrade (but you could just rent the Superbit version and listen to the commentary if you were frugal).
Commentary? I thought the superbit releases didn't have any extras. Isn't that what makes them "super"?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: Now if you wanted the commentary, then that would be a good reason to upgrade (but you could just rent the Superbit version and listen to the commentary if you were frugal). [/quote] What commentary, Patrick? I thought the whole point of SuperBits DVDs is to eliminate all extras and use the space to optimize video.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 21, 2001 at 11:25 AM]

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Vulnerable to fingerprints, scratches, misplacing (I like to read clearly what the disc is).
Like I said, I won't be looking or hearing for anything better content wise.
I can do without the AFO commentary and cropped trailer (can't stand non-anamorphic). Different story if they windowbox.
Single sided is my reason.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
dude,
whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.
I will be buying these new titles in the belief and actual real life observation of renting them out to 400 people.
having 1,700 discs and observing trends between single sided and double sided durability is my basis.
smiles.
don't buy them if you don't want to.
is it that hard?
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I think what Chris is trying to say is that when he has a two-sided disc, he has two sides to concern himself with regards to scratching and fingerprinting. With only one side, it's a little easier to maintain.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think what Chris is trying to say is that when he has a two-sided disc, he has two sides to concern himself with regards to scratching and fingerprinting. With only one side, it's a little easier to maintain.
That argument makes sense in regard to DVDs that have content most of us would view as valuable on the second side, and it's the strongest case against DVD-18. However, both Fifth Element and AFO just offer pan and scan transfers on their flipsides. As such, most folks here won't be affected it that side of the disc gets damaged. I'm never going to watch it anyway, so the effect is the same as if these were single-sided discs...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
, both Fifth Element and AFO just offer pan and scan transfers on their flipsides. As such, most folks here won't be affected it that side of the disc gets damaged. I'm never going to watch it anyway, so the effect is the same as if these were single-sided discs...
Very true. I don't watch the pan and scan sides either, but being the perfectionist that I am, I don't like any scratches, nicks or smudges on my discs at all.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
thanks,
I sigh everytime any part of the disc is scratched etc.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks