What's new

Superbit confusion (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
If you don't have a progressive scan player will you be able to see a difference between a superbit and a standard DVD?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I was able to see a difference when I had my old Toshiba 3108 480i player but then again, I was projecting 96" 9x16. Many of the SB disks have more fine detail. What is the size/type of your display.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Superbit is about mastering, and has nothing to do with progressive scan. The difference in image quality will vary depending on the disc (particular movie), and how good the original transfer was.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And I can see a clear improvement with the better-transferred discs on even my 27-inch bedroom display (specifically, Mask of Zorro and Fifth Element). As John notes, the Superbit titles are remasterings, with the bit allocation being assigned for the best-possible video quality.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The most noticable improvement I saw as on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in terms of picture quality. Dracula was improved, but not quite as noticably.

Also, in all cases AFAIK, there is a DTS track.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
As John notes, the Superbit titles are remasterings
I'm not sure I buy this wording.
Superbit uses the exact same video "master" in 99% of their releases.
Sony doesn't remaster anything (I'm sure they would like you to think they do).
Recompression at a higher bit rate is more correct in my eyes.
Of course this can yield much more detail but it is still the same transfer (much to my dismay on Dracula, the only Superbit I own).

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks