What's new

Super Mario Galaxy RULEZ! (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
GOT IT! My heart was pounding when I got the 100th coin and it paused to bring in the star right as I was about to make a treacherous jump. Fortunately, I made it.

Heh. Less than 20 minutes later, and I'm done. Bowser's such a pushover.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Congratz man, I stopped at 108 because the remaining purple coin challenges were maddeningly difficult, and I would have been cursing up a storm the whole time, something my wife frowns upon greatly.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This is about how the last coin challenge looked:

Did you ever end up owning this game? Last I read, you had rented and were thinking about it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I got so many stars during the rental period that I didn't feel like it was worth buying the game for the remaining stars that were probably out of my reach. I waited so long that SMG2 is out already, so I doubt I'll buy SMG -- I was dropping hints to my wife that SMG2 would be a great father's day gift, but now I'm wondering if I'm better off renting this as well and buying Wii Sports Resort instead. I was playing WSR at my sister's house yesterday, and that seems more accessible and longer lived for the whole family whereas SMG2 will probably end up collecting dust after a while.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm also stuck at the very last star. The first 241 were not too tough but still some good challenges in there. This last one is brutal.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm also stuck at the very last star

What is getting me stuck is apparently you need to deposit 9,999 star bits with the banktoad to make the 242nd star comet appear. I've come close to choking myself with the Nunchuk cord over some of the more frustrating levels of this game, but the 9,999 star bits think just seems obnoxious.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you go for the 240 stars, you will probably accumulate 9999 star bits anyway. I had that many when I was around 210 stars. There's a couple later levels that just load you up with star bits in certain sections. Remember, 100 star bits is 1 extra life and you can hold 999 star bits per try in a level.

Didn't mention this before, but I got the last star on Sunday. It felt great to finally get it.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I just started playing this (part 1) last week and am totally addicted to it.

So far, I am at around 89 stars, and haven't found anything that has caused me to want to throw my controller yet. The most annoying level so far has been the one where you race the big boo with the pull stars.

Last night I went to and beat the final Bowser level and did my first purple coin challenge on the Good Egg Galaxy.

Here's what I've completed so far:

Every single star galaxy with the exception of the hidden one outside of the garden galaxy where you have to feed the hungry luma; which I haven't unlocked yet.

Every 3-star galaxy plus comet and hidden star for the first four observatories, plus all these stars on the first two galaxies of the 5th observatory.

Two purple coin challenges: The gateway galaxy where you learn to fly with the red star, and the first comet in the first galaxy.

So what I have left are: The last star, the hidden star, and the comet star in the Toy Galaxy. All of the stars in the Molten, Dreadnought and Dark Galaxy. The hidden galaxy outside of the last observatory, And the 14 remaining purple coin challenges.

Like I said, I haven't been extremely frustrated yet, but from what I read here, that's coming up.

Two questions I have: Is playing as Luigi any different from Mario, or is it a purely I'm-looking-at-Luigi-instead-of-Mario thing? and also I read that collecting 9999 star bits turns the coconuts into watermelons. Does this affect gameplay at all or is it just an I'm-looking-at-watermelons-instead-of-coconuts thing? Seems like a waste of time if it's just cosmetic. There are hardly any coconuts in the game anyway.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Don't know about the coconuts, but Luigi I think jumps a little higher and has a harder time stopping when he's running. It's kind of annoying for tight spaces. I only played one level of SMG as Luigi, but many of SMG2 as him. Every time it was offered, whether I wanted to or not (in case playing as Luigi got me something).

Since you're loving the game, I think you're in for a treat with 2. Great games.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I got a bunch more stars tonight, and now am at 101. Of particular note were the Deep Dark Ghost Ship Daredevil run, and the Dreadnought Purple Coins. I'm glad to have those out of my way. Still haven't attempted the Toy Galaxy Purple Coins yet...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I almost cried during Dreadnaught Purple Coins. After the fifth tantrum, I decided the level had the best of me.

The Toy Purple Galaxy? I tried that once and decided, "aw HAY-ELL no!"

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I got a few more stars today and am up to 107. Tonight I got the Dreadnought blowing up trash, the Battlerock Purple Coins and Luigi's Purple Coins.

Luigi's Purple Coins took about 15 tries. It was the first time I had ever seen it or played it, but I had read a bunch of peoples comments on it in the past, so I definitely had a strategy going in, and I knew where the star would appear, and that you didn't have to get all of the coins. If I hadn't known those going in, I'm sure I would have died hundreds of times.

From reading peoples comments, it sounds like the only difficult one I have left is the Molten Spire Daredevil run. I tried that a few times before calling it a night. I thought that it would just be the sinking spire at the end, and that it wouldn't be that bad. My jaw dropped when it started me out at the beginning of the level! I think that one may be my nemesis level....

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I unlocked Super Luigi Galaxy yesterday. I haven't started it yet, but am actually excited to go through the game again, I loved it so much.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
After a marathon weekend, I finally got all 242 stars. By far my least favorite was Battlerock Purple coins with Luigi. His slippery running style made it near impossible to do the finessing required for that challenge.

Final death count: Mario-203, Luigi-145

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh, shit. I hope there isn't a death count in SMG2. I lost 25 lives today on the last star. And I still haven't gotten it.

Is there a new level when you get all the stars with Luigi?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks