What's new

Super Bowl XXXVII coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
This just in from Warner Brothers: "Warner Home Video, the National Football League and NFL Films have announced a three-year partnership for the marketing and distribution of NFL titles in North America. WHV and NFL Films will co-develop a year-round line-up of DVD and video products targeting football fans, beginning with the biggest event of the year, Super Bowl XXXVII.". This is an interesting deal - we could possibly see all the Super Bowls on DVD. Question is, will they be widescreen for full screen? Will they have 5.1 surround? Only time will tell.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
These aren't really anything new--just more of the Super Bowl highlights and NFL collections (50 Greatest Quarterbacks, NFL's 100 Greatest Moments, etc.) that have come out in the past. Look at what NFL Films and USA Home Video released during their time together as an example of what to expect. WHV is just a new partner for NFL Films after USA folded.

Directly from the press release:

The partnership will kick off with the biggest event of the year, Super Bowl XXXVII. WHV will release the Super Bowl DVD on February 11 in record time - a sixteen-day turnaround from the championship game. The Super Bowl Champions video, historically among the top-selling sports video of all-time, will feature an unprecedented three hours of extended programming and deliver a complete Super Bowl experience. For the first time, the DVD will include action from every series; pre-game and post-game analysis; behind-the-scenes footage from Super Bowl week; and coverage of the regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl in the colorful, dramatic fashion that only NFL Films can produce.
It won't be the game from beginning to end. "Action from every series" is not every down or even complete plays.

Just an FYI, because the replies make it sound as if these will present the entire Super Bowl.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I usually don't question the NFL in their judgement because they obviously have the best business sense of the 4 major sports, but why don't they release Super Bowls in their entirety on video or DVD? Seems like a no brainer to me. As a Bronco fan, I would love the 98 and 99 games in full!

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Maybe they will release full games this time, now that they are teamed with Warner.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Can someone please check with the weather service and double-check the temp in hell? There's a non-snapper DVD case with a Warner Bros shield on it!

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Heh, I wonder if they'll use some of ABC's HD footage.....

But yes, I will not buy any "best ofs" or "highlights" package....

I want the live play-by-play for the entire game....

Or at least what they offer on ESPN Classic for college games...(sometimes they skip ahead in the action, but you see it from the main camera angles with the TV announcing team...just as if you saw it live on TV....

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I have no interest in football, but yes, complete game is a must. Why they're releasing these "highlight" videos is beyond me. I myself am a hockey fan, and have the Stanley Cup-winning games taped from 1994 on. Complete games, some of which went into multiple overtimes! These would be awesome multi-disc sets. No need for stupid extras - just the complete game, from the first whilste to the last - okay, perhaps maybe the pre- and post-game. Is there a reason they won't release complete games? Does ESPN have a home video department?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'm skeptical. I'd be very surprised if it was anything beyond the short NFL Films recap of the superbowl. The Super Bowl XXXVII dvd streets on 2/11, so I don't expect much. Just a DVD version of the VHS tape they release every year.
-Dave

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I'd be very surprised if it was anything beyond the short NFL Films recap of the superbowl.
From the Warner Brothers press release:

"The partnership will kick off with the biggest event of the year, Super Bowl XXXVII. WHV will release the Super Bowl DVD on February 11 in record time – a sixteen-day turnaround from the championship game. The Super Bowl Champions video, historically among the top-selling sports video of all-time, will feature an unprecedented three hours of extended programming and deliver a complete Super Bowl experience. For the first time, the DVD will include action from every series; pre-game and post-game analysis;
behind-the-scenes footage from Super Bowl week; and coverage of the regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl in the colorful, dramatic fashion that only NFL Films can produce."

Christopher D

Second Unit
The NFL's longstanding policy is that it presents "live entertainment," which is why it so jealously guards rebroadcasts or video releases of entire games. Its philosophy is that games then are more special -- kind of like old closed-circuit boxing telecasts, or something like that. The release above says "action from every series," which does not equal the entire game or every play.
It appears very much that the NFL is loosening its policy somewhat. I just ordered and received a DVD the Patriots are offering on their official website that has *almost* every play from each of their three playoff games last year (including the Super Bowl) titled "3 Games to Glory":

http://proshop.patriots.com/index.cf...etail&PID=3181
It was produced by NFL Films and has its footage of the plays start to finish (cutting mostly immediately to the next play) accompanied by audio of the radio broadcast. Each game is 30 minutes.
Very nice disc for Patriots fans, and worth checking out for all football fans because they had two great postseason games last year. (I ordered it because I thought the snow bowl was one of the coolest games ever). $19.95.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone please check with the weather service and double-check the temp in hell? There's a non-snapper DVD case with a Warner Bros shield on it!
It's not the first. The Janet Jackson Live in Hawaii DVD from Warner also came in a keep case.

If this DVD is the complete game, I'll buy it; that would be awesome. Otherwise, I'll pass. I've no interest in someone else's idea of a highlight reel.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Reviving a dead thread here. I just watched this DVD after renting it from Netflix. The main feature is the usual NFL Films 60min doc. But in the special features section there is an option for TV Broadcast. This is basically an edited full version of the game. I don't know who the guys are announcing it though. 99.99% of the plays are there (a kickoff or two here and there were edited out) and save for a few replays of major plays, it goes from the end of a play to the start of the next (but is done very smoothly and the announcing seems to have been done for this version as it flows smooth and no obvious cuts). While it is not the national tv broadcast, it is a very big step up. The game runs for about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Chris

DeVario

Agent
Please say that the footage of all the little dances they sometimes did after a big play are still in there. Those were a hoot! :D

MichaelG

Second Unit
If they actually release a DVD with the complete game then I would buy. I have no interest in a highlight video, no interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.