Super Bowl XXXV HDTV Reception Problems?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leonard Gee, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Leonard Gee

Leonard Gee Auditioning

I stopped by the local The Good Guys in Hayward, California yesterday to check out the Super Bowl in all it's HDTV glory on their Mits 65" 16:9 HDTV with Mits HDTV Sat receiver since I've been thinking of taking the plunge for one.
    I was discouraged. Although the picture was fabulous, it looked like and sounded like shit most of the game!
    Here are my observations:
    audio sync was off throughout the game. Examples: during pre-game interviews, when the commentators were speaking, and when the referees were making the calls. Looked like a cheap kung fu movie-ie. words and lips did not match. Not even the ads were in sync.
    audio drop outs. Examples: same as above.
    video pixelation (sp?). Frequently and throughout the game. Sometimes like blocks, other times looked as the picture was shot in slow motion, or with a slow dissolve effect.
    video freeze. Frequently and throughout the game.
    Are the above faults of the TV/HDTV box, or CBS, or both?
    Are these faults common with HDTV hardware and/or broadcasting in it's current state?
    Did any of you with HDTV see the same problems?
    Thanks in advance. I really do want to buy a HDTV.

2. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

That was definitely NOT normal. Sounds like they had a poor antenna setup. Almost everything you mention is what mine looks like when the antenna is not pointing right.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

3. CarlS

CarlS Stunt Coordinator

I agree that something had to be wrong with the store's setup. I was lucky enough to get an antenna feed from my cable company and I had no video problems whatsoever. We had a few sound breakups early on in the telecast, but after the first few minutes, everything was fantastic.
    I would suggest that you find another store with a live feed. Don't give up, it is definitely worth it.

4. RobH

RobH Auditioning

Ditto here. It sounds like they had a problem on the store end. I have TWC HD cable and the quality was incredible. I didn't care which team won, I justed wanted to watch TV.

5. Bill_Rockefeller

My results in SF: Almost Perfect
    I did get video breakup very rarely during the broadcast, usually just for a second or so. Audio quality was perfect 95% of the time, but I got some audio burps towards the end.
    The video quality was absolutely spectacular, everything I always wanted out of HDTV. :] The game was a bore, as I'm not interested in football if the 9ers aren't in the game, but we had a kicka** party!
    Since you're in the SF Bay Area, feel free to come by my place to check out how HDTV should *REALLY* look. I've got the HBO and Showtime HD channels, local OTA channels, and the dish demo channel.

6. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

I'm one of the one's still watching crappy old NTSC [​IMG] and noticed audio delays during the pregame show. I don't remember if it happened during the coin toss, but I do remember Bonnie Bernstein talking twice and the audio didn't match up.
    I hope you aren't going to blame the ref's mike not working on HD, are you? [​IMG]

7. John Perun

John Perun Auditioning

On KCBS in Los Angeles, not a single glitch with an indoor antenna!!
    Couldn't ask for better performance.
    ------------------
    Learn & Live

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Pardon the tweak on the subject, Leonard, but saying that the Superbowl looked ugly comes across as flame bait, especially when the parts of it I saw were almost flawless.
    You bring up an excellent point. HDTV will have an extremely hard time gaining support if the stores can not set up reception right. If I saw a substandard broadcast as you had, I would be turned off as well.
    But I assure you, as everyone else in the thread has, that the broadcast was, by and large, superb. Everyone who attended my viewing party was blown away.
    - Steve

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I'll echo John's comments. Except for a few audio glitches at the beginning of the game, it looked AND sounded great. The problems described are NOT typical.
    ------------------

10. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Len,
    If your local dealers can't set up their own demo sets, they won't be much help setting up yours. But, you could ask them to hook up a progressive scan DVD player to an HDTV and you will get a taste of what true HD broadcasts are like. You won't ever want to go back.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    "You float like an feather...in a beautiful world..."

11. Leonard Gee

Leonard Gee Auditioning

Bill- Thanks for the invite. I might just take you up on that when I get closer to purchase.
    Steve- The thread was not intended to flame- I really was impressed with the picture when it was ok. Incredibly sharp. But the drop outs, and out of sync audio really made me think if I want to plunk down the cash right now.
    I'm sure The Good Guys was using the Mits STB connected to either DISH or DirectTV (not sure which one). I'm surprised they don't do a better job of setting up the demo. Doesn't help sell HDTV to us "Joe Six Packs" does it?
    Also noticed that during the commercials, several different aspect ratios were show ie. one framed with black borders all around, one 4:3 with some kind of pattern outside the format, and regular black or grey bars on the sides. Please explain why? Does this happen when watching regular HDTV programming ie. Letterman, prime time shows or with HDTV movies?
    BTW- I may have a problem receiving HDTV. My house is in a valley, surrounded by a couple of hills, and tall trees. I have a couple of trees in my yard. How can I find out if I can get good reception before committing to a HDTV? If I buy from The Good Guys, or another dealer- do they do the installation of the satellite? Right now I have AT&T cable (sucks!), and watching DVD's on 35" Panasonic TV.
    Thanks for your help.