What's new

Summer 2016 - TV's a barren wasteland... (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Killjoys, Dark Matter and Mr. Robot

Still recording Last Ship so I probably need to watch the last two from last year and start watching this year.
The there is the last season of Rizolli and Isles

I'm going to miss Rizolli and Isles. The chemistry between the main characters is so much fun. Supposedly a serious crime drama, but a lot of humor in the stories.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I'm going to miss Rizolli and Isles. The chemistry between the main characters is so much fun. Supposedly a serious crime drama, but a lot of humor in the stories.

Yes, the show has really grown on me. We have lost a great many very good shows over the last few years.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It still brings in the most viewers of any show on TNT, but I guess because most of those aren't teenagers or slightly older, the powers that be at TNT aren't interested in keeping it around. A pity as the show combines fine ensemble work with decent mysteries and great banter.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm not watching a lot of scripted shows this summer - Mr Robot, Preacher, and Aquarius are it, I think. I have kids so we're watching a lot of 'fun' tv together - American Ninja Warrior, BattleBots, and ABC's Sunday game show line up of Family Feud, $100,000 Pyramid, and Match Game (which we stretch out through the week).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hardly anything on the broadcast networks over the summer.

No more "Under The Dome" to laugh at every week. ;)

On cable, my viewing is mostly Fridays (Killjoys + Dark Matter). Though I'll check out Mr Robot tonight. Hopefully Mr Robot will expand beyond the hacking version of "fight club" influences of season 1.

If I'm home and just happening to be channel surfing in the evening, I might watch a rerun of stuff like NCIS, Criminal Minds, etc ... Though I don't bother recording these procedural show reruns to the dvr.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
On HBO, The Night Of seems pretty interesting. The first episode was a bit dull until John Turturro showed up. Then it got real good.

Also, Ballers is returning.

I've also been enjoying Containment on CW, as well as a very underrated Hell On Wheels on AMC.

And it may not be the thing for this group, but I really like The Fosters on Freeform.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Hardly anything on the broadcast networks over the summer.

No more "Under The Dome" to laugh at every week. ;)

On cable, my viewing is mostly Fridays (Killjoys + Dark Matter). Though I'll check out Mr Robot tonight. Hopefully Mr Robot will expand beyond the hacking version of "fight club" influences of season 1.

If I'm home and just happening to be channel surfing in the evening, I might watch a rerun of stuff like NCIS, Criminal Minds, etc ... Though I don't bother recording these procedural show reruns to the dvr.

Loved "Under the Dome" and "Falling Skies". Perfect popcorn type of shows for summer entertainment. I think "Under the Dome" could have gone on another season or two, but didn't happen.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Mr. Robot was the best show in 2015 (new or otherwise). Glad to see it back.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If you have access to CBC there is the hilarious "Baroness Von Sketch show" , featuring an all female cast. We are also enjoying the return of Suits an Angie Tribeca,

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Series Finale for "Hell On Wheels" next Saturday. I've enjoyed each season less than the preceding one, but, still, I'm happy for a, hopefully, cohesive ending.
Preferably, "{Enjoy China, Cullen."

Stan

Senior HTF Member
"Dead of Summer" is hitting the so-bad-it's-good bullseye for me, about a summer camp built on the site of a Satanic ritual, where people start dropping dead one by one.

I was going to give this a try, but the previews looked like a typical slasher/Friday the 13th kind of thing so I passed.

Been hearing good things about it, but a little to late to start now. Maybe it will show up in repeats or I'll see if I can find it online.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was going to give this a try, but the previews looked like a typical slasher/Friday the 13th kind of thing so I passed.

Been hearing good things about it, but a little to late to start now. Maybe it will show up in repeats or I'll see if I can find it online.
I think Freeform has it on demand. I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I think Freeform has it on demand. I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

Thank you. I bring up the web-site, only recaps for the first two episodes, but full episodes after that. For some reason they don't play, no error, just nothing. But I'll keep trying.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's "Dead of Summer" had one of the best executed reveals I've seen in a long time. I didn't see it coming, but it seemed obvious in retrospect.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
For me this summer it has been 12 Monkeys, Preacher, Wayward Pines, Killjoys, Dark Matter, The Last Ship, Person of Interest, and Aquarius. The Strain is starting so late that it's more of a Fall show than summer.

For anyone looking for an interesting, high quality miniseries I'd HIGHLY recommend watching Netflix's "Stranger Things". I thought this was just wonderful. Only 8 episodes.

If you are interested in this genre at all you should love this.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My recording schedule is slimmer than in the Fall and Spring, to be sure. But there are some good options still:

Roots (recently finished)
Dark Matter (just started)
Mr. Robot (starting soon)

And on Netflix, I'll catch up on last year's shows not watched due to the busy Fall/Spring TV schedule, including:
Jessica Jones
Daredevil 2

So it's turned out to be a great summer for TV. Pretty jam packed like the Fall can be. In no particular order:

Roots
Jessica Jones
Stranger Things
Mr. Robot
Better Call Saul
Dark Matter
Orphan Black
Unreal

And I'm chipping away at old shows:
Switched at Birth
Twilight Zone

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks