What's new

Sully (2016) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This must be my most anticipated movie. I'm as excited to see this as if it was a Star Wars movie.

It must be the uplifting version of Flight (2012). Seems the same story structure, the incident and the afterward. But this is way more fascination and interesting to me. Was Flight (2012) fiction?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Seriously, Clint Eastwood + Tom Hanks.

How has this never happened before?!?!

Two of the biggest Hollywood home run hitters, IMO. This movie should be a slam dunk.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't even begin to see how this is a 2 hour or more movie but I'll see anything that Clint Eastwood does. And apparently, it was largely shot with IMAX cameras (not like, say, The Force Awakens or Captain America where it's only a few minutes) so it'll be worth spending $19 on an IMAX ticket.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Most of the movie must be about the aftermath investigation. I suspect 40-60 mins of the beginning is showing the accident.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This must be my most anticipated movie. I'm as excited to see this as if it was a Star Wars movie.

It must be the uplifting version of Flight (2012). Seems the same story structure, the incident and the afterward. But this is way more fascination and interesting to me. Was Flight (2012) fiction?
Flight was indeed fiction. And other than the actual crash, I thought it was a mediocre effort from Zemeckis.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
apparently, it was largely shot with IMAX cameras (not like, say, The Force Awakens or Captain America where it's only a few minutes) so it'll be worth spending $19 on an IMAX ticket.

I'm excited for that. It's the IMAX digital camera, not 15/70, so the IMAX ratio will be 1.90:1 rather than 1.44:1.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Clint Eastwood's basically only had three cinematographers as a director: Bruce Surtees (1971's Play Misty for Me through 1985's Pale Rider), Jack N. Green (1986's Heartbreak Ridge through 2000's Space Cowboys) and Tom Stern, who'd been Surtees's longtime gaffer (2002's Blood Work to present).

Eastwood and Stern made the jump to digital with Jersey Boys, shot on the Alexa, and Eastwood (a director who prioritizes shooting quickly) was a quick and enthusiastic convert. "He loves the fact that we can shoot 27 minutes on Codex," Stern told a crowd back in 2015. "He likes not having the [film] magazine changes, mainly."

So the use of the IMAX-branded Alexa 65 cameras is just an extension of what they'd already been doing, but bringing some of the additional benefits of 70mm filmmaking to the table.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Excellent performances from the entire cast and Clint is, as always, at the top of his directorial game. They show the crash multiple times and it's always suspenseful and scary. Considering that the audience knows from before the movie starts that they make it, that's a heck of a feat to pull off. One of the year's best so far.

A nice thing about the movie is that they even make a point to give some credit to the other people who helped in the rescue in the end title card.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Excellent performances from the entire cast and Clint is, as always, at the top of his directorial game. They show the crash multiple times and it's always suspenseful and scary. Considering that the audience knows from before the movie starts that they make it, that's a heck of a feat to pull off. One of the year's best so far.

A nice thing about the movie is that they even make a point to give some credit to the other people who helped in the rescue in the end title card.
I echo your thoughts on this film. An excellent movie! Frankly, I don't understand how the Rotten Tomatoes Reviews aren't higher, but what else do you expect from the reviewer crowd. They rather complain about the movie being only 96 minutes long.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
You think the RT score is low, you should see the review from one of the Stockholm papers, their new reviewer introduced himself by giving Sully 1/6, calling it a feelgood film for kids, with dialogue like a school play and using sentences from fridge magnets and other amteurish things.
At least he didn't complain about the length ;)
http://www.svd.se/stolpig-feelgoodfilm-kraschlandar/om/biohosten-2016

Other papers were kinder, and I will definitely see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks