Suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dennis Heller, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

I'm kicking around the idea of new speakers, and here's what I'm considering:

These are almost exclusively for home theater usage, with only occasional music. I don't need a sub because I have an SVS 20-39. I have a Marantz SR-4001 receiver that I'm planning on keeping for awhile - eventually I'll get a power amp and then a pre-pro.

Currently I'm in an apartment with a small living room, so I have to keep the volume low, but I will eventually move into a house, hopefully with a dedicated theater room. The speakers will have to make the journey with me. I think I'm looking for something that will be clear at low-ish volumes but still have the ability to fill up a large space. I'm thinking Klipsch, but I've never really been a fan, albeit with limited experience. I'm currently running Energy Veritas 2.1 across the front, with Paradigm Atoms in back.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. tttrombone

tttrombone Auditioning

I am not sure what your budget is. With that said, I recently purchased the Klipsch Quintet package and used it for 38 days before deciding I needed more. I too, use my speakers almost exclusively for movies but noticed I was missing midrange sounds when I played music. I have an h-100 sub which I am very satisfied with. I talked with Best Buy and they agreed to let me exchange the speakers. I have since purchased a set of Klipsch B-2's and a C-3 center. I am using a set of old Onyko speakers for surrounds and will probably go with S-1's soon. I must say I am very satisfied with the choice I made to upgrade. These speakers sound great with music and I notice a significant difference when watching movies. The sound is so natural even at low volumes. I work nights and have the volume at low levels the majority of the time. Total cost was $440 for the 3 fronts and worth every penny.

Hope this helps.

3. tttrombone

tttrombone Auditioning

One more thing, I own a house and have my 65' HDTV sitting about 23 feet away and these speakers do fill the room nicely.