What's new

Suggestions on speakers to buy (1 Viewer)

burnedfaceless

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I have two Bose 201s currently. This summer I am hoping to buy three speakers to complete my system (without a woofer for now).

I was thinking about using Bose 301s for the front left and right. Putting my 201s as rear speakers, and using a 161 as my front center speaker.

How does this sound?

I want to stick with Bose. I've owned a number of computer speakers over the years. The Bose I pawned sounded best to me. I really appreciate the Bose sound after not having it for some time.

I realize some of you may disagree but if I want to use Bose what should I use? Thanks

BryanZ

Screenwriter
What will you be using to power the speakers?

"I've owned a number of computer speakers over the years."

If the ones you pawned sounded best to you, why not buy the same ones even though they may be used?

You are unlikely to find love for Bose on most any home theater forum. However, as you budget appears to be $500, why not ask for suggestions for either three front speakers, a home-theater-in-a-box solution, or go with a sub? IMO, going the way of the sub will offer the greatest impact for now until you can get three timbre matching fronts, whatever brand they may be.

burnedfaceless

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I know what the word timbre means relating to instruments.

Can you elaborate on how this should influence my speaker selection?

Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Timbre matching...as far as HT goes...Buy the same brand/series of speaker.As in don't buy Polk RTi main and throw a Polk CS center with them.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
schan1269 said:
Timbre matching...as far as HT goes...Buy the same brand/series of speaker.As in don't buy Polk RTi main and throw a Polk CS center with them.
He has given me the same adive, I bought a different brand center speaker than my fronts and I returned it the next day. I agree stick with the same speaker if you can, at the very least the same brand.

Orin69

Auditioning
Real Name
Corina
Have you considered buying the Bose Acoustimass 5 Speaker System. It is within your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks