What's new

Suggestions on new DVD (1 Viewer)

bernard_m

Auditioning
Hi,

My 2 year old Panasonic RP91 just crapped out on me. Everytime I put in a DVD, it says "read" for about 2 seconds then goes dark. It won't power up until I unplug it for about 5 minutes.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good progressive scan DVD player without the "chroma bug" to replace this one? Don't suggest anything from Panasonic (Fool me twice, shame on me).

Thanks,

bernard_m

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Curious as to why a unit of such recent vintage would fail on you. Has the player been used at great length (that is, all day long for several days at a stretch) and has it been allowed to get dirty? Have you jarred the unit when moving it?

As for a replacement (assuming you don't fix the Panasonic), what price point are you considering? And Panasonic, by the way, manufactures some excellent machines.

bernard_m

Auditioning
Hi,

I have not abused, dropped, or jarred this unit at all since I have owned it. I do tend to watch it 2-3 hours a night, but nothing like what was suggested.

I know Panasonic makes some pretty good DVD players, but if I have to have them fixed after two years, I am not sure they are worth it. I'll probably take it in to get a quote for having it fixed, but I bet they charge me 50 bucks just to diagnose the problem, then tell me it will be almost as much as a new player to fix it.

Are there any other manufacturers that make good DVD players. About the only one I have any information on that is available is the Denon 1600. It runs about 500.00 which I could afford, but I wanted to know if anyone out there had a recommendation of something about as good for less. I have heard great things about the Panasonic RP82 and the XP30, but I can't find anyone who has them in stock and I have been burned once by Panasonic.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, find out what the deal is with that RP91.

Lots of terrific DVD player manufacturers out there. Any of the brands you see discussed commonly here are worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks