What's new

Suggestions on Music Software for playing/burning/ripping etc. etc. (1 Viewer)

RentBaxley

Agent
I am currently using Windows Media Player to rip, burn, play, and organize all music on my PC. I am not particularly happy with how this software organizes my music. Do you all have any recommendations on a more user friendly software?

I knw this is a pretty general question, but I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Rent

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
What OS are you using?
If you are using Win 2000 or XP then I personally would recommend itunes. I like their ripping and playlist features.
I have never used it to burn a disc yet so maybe someone else can pipe in here.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
iTunes for me as well. I rip using 224kbps AAC. If it's good enough for Angelo.M, it's good enough for me. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Be aware that AAC is pretty much an iPod-only format. Personally, I've ripped everything in AAC, too, but Rent may not be aware of the limitation. If your portable music player is an iPod, it's not a big deal. However, if you have anything else, you probably want to stick with MP3. iTunes can use either format.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
However, iTunes apparently doesn't do MP3 encoding as well as well as CDex, but the difference in quality may not be noticeable. I haven't bothered to experiment.

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator
While it all boils down to what sounds best to "you". Many would reguard windows media player encoding as the worst.
I myself use EAC with Lame, but in all my reading on the subject of encoding mp3s, have I never read a "good" thing about wma.
I think anything you choose will be a step up.

RentBaxley

Agent
Thanks for all the help. I don't have an iPod...yet. I really want one, but I am also considering a new computer. I haven't decided on going with an iMac or a Dell. I figure I should put off the iPod decision until then. I dont' think the AAC should be too much of an issue right now, as I don't have a portable mp3 player.

Thanks again!
R

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks