What's new

Suggestions for Subwoofer and Surround speakers (1 Viewer)

sr20ve-t

Auditioning
Real Name
Ismail Hosein
Hey all,

I am in the process of building a home theater/game room at my home. The room is a approximately 10' x 20' . So far, i am thinking of getting one of the receivers from the links below. I am not sure if they are my best choice in that price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR608-7-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BIFOL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291101692&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR708-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B003N197CU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291101692&sr=1-2

I am a guy who likes bass, I am thinking of getting either a 12" or 15" dayton mkIII subwoofer and an amplifier. Is this a good choice? or can i get something better in that price range? What amplifier should i use for the mentioned subwoofers ?

What do you guys think would be a good choice of surround sound speakers ? Currently I am looking to spend approximately 700usd on the surround sound speakers at the moment. Is this a good price range or should i bump it up a little ?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Dayton Titanics are always a good choice but there are dozens of other options available. What is your sub budget? What is the largest enclosure that you can put in your room? Once we narrow down the driver and design, then we look into the best way to power it. Behringer pro amps provide the best bang for the buck but they have a few drawbacks as well.

sr20ve-t

Auditioning
Real Name
Ismail Hosein
my sub budget can go to about 700usd or so...

size of enclosure shouldn't really be a problem, since i was planning to put it in the front corner of the room which should also be underneath the projection of the room...is that a good position for the subwoofer ? i would try to put up a drawing with the intended layout of the room soon.

for my amplifier, i was thinking of a dayton amplifier if i am going with the dayton speakers.

what size of enclosure should i be looking to allocate space for? making an enclosure is not a problem since i have the tools and a basic knowledge on how to build one.

i need to do enough research on this since i am not from the US and would be visiting in january for a few days. I will purchase the items then and have them sea freighted to my country.

thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As you know Dayton is a popular DIY sub brand. But other popular manufacturers include:

Fi Car Audio

Ascendant Audio

AE Speakers

Exodus Audio

Elemental Designs

Rythmik Audio

Resonant Engineering

TC Sounds

Fixmyspeaker.com (I'm starting to include this site since David will build a sub to fit your needs. 100% custom. I should have my first sub from him later this week.)

If you have the room, a pair of Dayton HF series 15's and a Behringer EP-2000 (or older EP-1500 since it is the exact same amp) in a large, sealed enclosure would be one of many designs to choose from. Then again, that's one of hundreds of options.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks