What's new

Suggestions for new CD player (1 Viewer)

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, I know most suggestions are just that, suggestions but I am looking to see what suggestions you have for a really good CD player. I'm not interested or will my budget allow for a 1500.00 unit so please don't suggest anything over the 1000.00 mark. I don't have access to a huge number of suppliers in Saskatoon so if you have a suggestion could you please also supply a reliable source for the unit and a web address if possible.

My current Hitachi unit is really just a DVD player and I want a good source for my CDs. Thanks in advance.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Arcam and Cambridge Audio players are good. You could go used and save a bunch of $$$. Don't limit your purchase to only a CD player, you can get a good DVD player that will also play CDs well. The Cambridge Audio Azur 540D (DVD player) is a well regarded and will set you back $450. My shop here in Edmonton could set you up with these brands I'm sure.

I have not researched modded players much so I don't know if you could get one for $1000. They seem to have the best bang for the buck though.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestion Aaron. I appreciate all I here but I am looking for a CD player that plays a lot better than well. I don't want to be fussy but I am looking to get the best CD player for the money. I don't want to comprimise on the DVD/CD thing.

What shop do you have in Edmonchuc. I do go there quite a bit.

Thanks

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Well, to defend the Cambridge 540D: I did a head to head comparison of the 540D and 540C for CD playback only (already had a DVD player) and found the 540D better than the highly regarded 540C for CD playback. However, if your budget goes to 1000$, the Cambridge 640C (still less, around 700$ or so) is an excellent choice. Arcam also make a couple of players under your limit, and they are also excellent.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dave, mentioned the Cambridge unit as it does both and does the audio part really well. PaulDA knows more about these brands than I so check out that 640C he suggested.

I shop at Audio Ark in Edmonton. Great service, they carry cambridge, arcam, and many more treats that will blow your budget.

Another thing to consider is buying a nice DAC. I own a pioneer 563 player and I heard it hooked up to a Benchmark DAC (over your budget at $1500) and it easily, no problem trounced a $3000 Arcam player. Yes, I could hear the difference, they were doing a head to head thing. I would love to hook up a benchmark DAC to my cheap pioneer player, it does a really nice job.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all for your input. I decided to get and try the Arcam CD73. Just too much evidence on the net to not purchase this unit. Dealer says try it and if you are not happy he will give me a full refund.

Seems to be miles ahead of the Rotel RCD1072 which is a fine piece of gear in it's own right.

Thanks again.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
Got the new Arcam CD73 home yesturday and listened till I fell off to sleep. What a difference a good machine can make. I am listening to my CD collection really for the first time. What wonderful lows you get with this thing. Not at all overpowering but a reall smooth low that is amazing. The highs are much better but it's the lows that were absent from my previous CD/DVD player.

Can't hardly wait to get home tonight to hear more. I think it's time for Dark Side Of The Moon.

Yessssss

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
For less than $1000 the Marantz SA8400 is an extraordinary machine. CD sound is sweet and warm. And it does stereo SACDs also.
Don't limit yourself to a budget CD player like the Cambridge 640C or the Marantz CD5400, these machines will play CDs only well enough for their price. I did the same mistake one year ago and was never happy with the CD sound until I upgraded to the SA8400. Now my CDs sound great and I've never been so happy listening to CDs before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks