suggestions for home theater components

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Richard_Long, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Richard_Long

Richard_Long Auditioning

I recently came into some money and am looking to setup my first home theater. I have asked for and received much advice from the basice forum on what television I should choose and have thus narrowed it down to either a Sony KV-34XBR800 or a Sony KV-32HS510 (both are widescreen). I was also told to choose my display device then choose my speakers, amplifier and receiver.

I am here to get suggestions on what speakers and receiver I should get and also to find out whether or not I may need an amplifier. I have only looked at these components for a few the last few hours since I was previously considering a Sony "home theater in a box" system, until I was told and read reviews that those systems don't offer good quality sound.

I have decided to turn to the forum for advice because since I started looking for my audio components I have discovered that I know absolutely nothing about home theater audio.

So hit me with any suggestions you may have or advice you can give. I want to spend under or around $1200 for all the audio components. I will be willing to go a little higher since I believe in quality over quantity. So far the only components I have come up with are:

Sony STR-DE485 reciever
    Sony SA-VE345 six speaker set
    Sony DVP-NC655P/B DVD player

In case you can't tell I have a Sony jones but I am definitely open to other brands. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

Richard

2. Arup

Arup Stunt Coordinator

If you go SONY then go for their ES series. Also audition Yamaha recievers and speakers as well as Marantz, Denon and Onkyo.

3. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Personally I'd get the new
    Pioneer VSXD912 6.1
    $350

Jbl s26 (front/rear)
    Jbl S-center
    $500

SVS PCi 25-31
    $549

Grand total of $1400. This would be a VERY respectable sound setup for the price range, trust me I can't see you beating this setup at that price. A excellent HT receiver, THE BEST sub for the money, and some terrifice speakers for that price.

And if those televisions cost more than 2 grand, I'd get a front projector, hands down.

4. Richard_Long

Richard_Long Auditioning

Thanks for the point in the right direction, I will definitely take a look at those. What types of cables should I use to hook all this equipment up? Any suggestions out there? I've heard Monster cables are good but I really have no idea. Thanks for the help

Richard

5. Richard Moya

Richard Moya Stunt Coordinator

I second the Sony ES recommendation. I recently purchased a STRDA2ES and I am quite pleased with it. If you leave room for future expansion, go with the DA4ES with 7.1 decoding.

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
  7. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I had an old Sony receiver that I thought was really not user friendly. I have a Sony TV and DVD player. I love their video products but am not sold on their audio.

I have an H/K AVR125 receiver and love it. I also have 4 Polk R20 and CSi30 center speakers. I think make a really good match with the HK. I got all of this for around $800. Well below your price range. I think it sounds really really good for the money. I would like to add a subwoofer(leasebreaker) to my system...but I don't think my neighbors would like it. There are tons of options out there. I would go to a Circuit City or some other store in your area and take a listen.