What's new

Suggestions at the $1600 price point (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
I finally have my budget locked down. I'm looking to purchase a bigger TV for ~$1600. I'm quite attracted to the 42" Panny EDTV plasma which can be had for right at about that price. If anyone can recommend a different technology or bigger screen for the same money, I'm all ears.

Thanks
Rick

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
What are your viewing needs

Do you need a large viewing angle?
Are you going to be mainly watching HDTV, movies, normal television?
Do you want something that you can do all your viewing on?
Could you get a small tv for normal viewing like news, and something else for HDTV, movies?
How dark will the room be while watching?
How much space do you have?
How close will you be sitting to the tv?

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
All great questions. Sorry I didn't address it in the first post.

The TV will be in the family room. We will be watching TV (haven't moved to HDTV yet) and DVD's but it's not going to serve as my dedicated movie watching set (HT room will come later). Complete light control will be difficult, especially in the afternoon/early evening. I'll probably set up the couch about 10' from the TV.

That about does it.

Rick

John S

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic ED plasma is pretty darn good. In this prioce range, I am not sure you can do any better in digital flat panal direct view technology.

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
I agree if I'm staying in the digital flat panel that the 42" Panny is my choice. If someone has another thought for a different technology...fire away. My next dilemma is whether to go with the consumer model or the commercial model. I'm aware of what you lose when going commercial, bu tis it true that the picture is dramatically better than the consumer model?

Thanks
Rick

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dramatic is to strong of a word, but I also favor the PQ on the commercial models and suggest them to most.

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator
can you guys be more specific on model numbers for both the commercial and consumer Panny 42" EDTV models? I'm looking for something similar (with similar viewing habits)at the same price point.

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Consumer model is TH-42PD50U..can be had for right at about $1600 shipped(includes HDTV tuner, stand, speakers)

Commercial model would be TH-42PWD8UK..can be had for about $1550 shipped but doesn't include tuner, stand, speakers. The commercial model is purely a monitor, nothing else. Now you know why I was asking about the PQ between the two of them. Almost the same cost but you are getting the tuner, stand and speakers with the consumer model.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks