What's new

Suggestion for home theater speaker system for under $1000?? (1 Viewer)

Dennis_N

Agent
I am looking at picking up a home theater system for my small apartment. I want something that is going to be relatively cheap and also have good sound (although I don't have a "tuned" ear like many of you). At first I wanted a Bose acoustimass 10 system but decided against that because of posts I read on here. The other option that I was looking at was the Energy take 5.2 system with the subwoofer. What are some other systems that I should keep in mind or compare? My price range is under $1000 and I would hope I could get something for about $600-$700 on eBay. Thanks for any info that you give me, it is all appreciated.
Dennis
------------------

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dennis, welcome to HTF! :)
The Energy 5.2 system is well respected. A lot of people also like the Definitive Technologies ProCinema system which I think can be had for about $1000 for the set (but I'm not up on current prices).
Another thought: Some people like to go with 5 identical bookshelf speakers (or 4 speakers and the matching center). This creates a very good HT system and most of the name-brand speakers have towers that you can later buy and merge into your system as an upgrade path.
Some canidates would be the NHT Super series (Zero/One/Two/Center) which I think is being discontinued so they are at discount prices.
Paradigm also has a very loyal following for their mini system and 350 ?? center which I think can be had for under $1000.
One other thing: there are some HTB (Home Theater's in a Box) that sound quite good for movies. The trick is that you can get away with less-accurate (read expensive) speakers for movies, but they may not work so well for music.
How much music vs movie listening do you do?
Example: the Kenwood HTB-503 got very good reviews from magazines like Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. This $500 system included no-frills speakers, receiver and sub. It held it's own against their "reference" budget system where the NHT speakers alone retailed for $1100.
So there are some "Jewels" to be had.
Good Luck.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy Dennis!
Well, I have had a few systems and recently have helped several friends with their choices for home theater gear, especially speakers. I have had a chance to here some really different setups two were under $1000 and here is my humble take on each.
Paradigm Mini Monitors with a Paradigm CC-370 center :) :) :) :)
It was wonderfully full and had very nice bass for bookshelf size speakers. They were a little large for a bookshelf, but they also went lower than most. Great bang for the buck factor. Played on a denon 1802 Receiver
Home theater Direct Level III bookshelf system and center w/sub :) :) :) :) :)
Why did I give it five stars. It was really inexpensive and had almost as good a sound as the paradigms. It also came with the sub for $750 bucks. Good sub, boomy though at about 50 HZ. You do have to watch that.
Now the Paradigms were more accurate and a little softer on the ear over time, but the HTD level 3's were amazingly good for the price. I would believe you would be pleased with both, but you would still need a sub for the paradigms. If you moved down the line in the paradigm the HTD's win. Also the Def Tech Procinema series is really nice and might fit your asthetics if you are going for the more hidden look.

Kevin Webb

Agent
Since you were thinking about looking at E-Bay, might I suggest something a little more radical. Check out the Wharfedale speakers that are featured on uBid.com. They have a variety of styles. Just for a lark, I purchased the Rubiance Rb-25 Towers. I got them for $39/ea! The shipping cost more, but I have been very happy with them. Wonderful, warm sound with music and they provide a nice match with my Center Channel for movies. They are also bi-wireable.
Most people don't know about Wharfedale. They are a UK company that has been making speakers for over 60 yrs. They are using uBid as they entry point into the U.S. market. Get them which you can still buy them for 10-20% of their retail price.
You could put together a 5 piece set for around $250-300 (w/shipping) and then you can spend the extra for a sub or go for the Sony SA-WM 40 Sub which you can get for around $150-200 (check out the other threads in this area for reivews on the sub).
Good luck!

Dennis_N

Agent
YEah, I checked out the Wharfedale speakers. I think I am looking at getting the Diamond Anniversary bookshelfs for the rear and maybe some MFM-7 3-WAY's for the front towers. Maybe I will just get the diamonds all around. What about the center channel? Should I go with one of the wharfedale's to round out the system or go with another type? Keep in mind that I am an extreme novice in this field. THanks again for the replies!
------------------

Steve Schick

Stunt Coordinator
I will second the 5 stars for the HTD level 3's
I got a set of 6 bookshelves and have listened to them for about a week now. Yes, they were a little harsh on the high end at first, but definitely mellow out after some hours of burn-in
Now if only I can make it to the 14th, when my Center speaker arrives!
------------------
You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
My DVD Profiler Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks