hard wood floors
entertainment center with 42" Sony in the center

receiver is Yamaha R-V703
power:
mains 80w+80w (8 ohms) RMS output 1KHz
center 80w (8 ohm)
rears 20w+20w (8ohm)

now for what speakers im looking at:

Onix ELT1 for $1000 (if i read it right on there site)

axiom epic grand master (1 problem i have with this setup is id have to lay the bookshelf's down so might have to see if they could exchange the speakers for the next size down)

Apeion haven't really researched them much.

now the questions:
will my receiver run these 3 speaker brands ok?

what in your opinion would you suggest for my room size?

what speaker set up would be the best of both worlds (movies/music)

any suggestions would be helpful seeing that i am very new to audio setups
THX

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
For music and HT have you given Ascend Acoustics Ascend a thought? You can also find info at Ascendforum. The Ascend 170 can be turned on side w/o a problem.

Have you tried audioenvy.com and the Axiom forum to see if anyone in your area will let you hear theirs Rockets or Axioms?

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I gotta ask this, I'm sorry. But why would you buy $1000 speakers and drive them buy a >$200 receiver? Is the receiver really that good?

Larry.H

Grip
well im looking at getting the speakers then upgrading the receiver when i get back from the arctic in november.

chris:
i'll go there now and look; thx

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
I would personally upgrade the reciever first, then the speakers. That's just me though, not the most savvy person here.

I would have to disagree with Merimac Hamwich on this matter. The difference in sound quality will be much more noticeable with a speaker upgrade as opposed to a receiver upgrade. Since you are planning on upgrading both the speakers and the receiver, I would recommend upgrading your speakers first if you want a more immediate and drastic improvement in your system's sound quality.

Your receiver is obviously in need of an upgrade. I hope that you are able to find something good out there to match the quality of the speakers you are looking for. Let us know what receivers you're looking at. I'm in the market for a new receiver myself but I haven't found anything yet that catches my eye or ear.

Take care!

David

Larry.H

Grip
the problem is i have no clue what im looking for,thats why im here for all the imput and posts.

chris: those speakers look pretty damn nice,could you give me a hint on how all these sets of speakers stack up against each other like bang for buck

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Here are some good reading on Rockets and Axioms. However, they were comparing the Rocket 150s to the Axiom M22s (and Ascend 170 & Aperion). I'd suggest you skip the section where they discuss different types of equipment, as those are in a totally different league than most normal human beings would be able to afford :)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=263414

Here's another recent thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=206935

AV123 has a package deal for the ELTs and a denon 1804 receiver. Also, right now, they are giving away a $200 remote control with the ELTs...not sure if that makes a difference to you or not.

Larry.H

Grip
ok i read the sites that you posted and i think i have it narrowed down to 2 companys ascend and axiom

is there anyone who has heard both of these speaker types and can give me some idea of who ya liked better and why.

ive posted at both there forums to see if i could audition them and havent had any luck yet.
I'm going down to the store tommorow and am hearing the B&W speakers they also have paradigm do either of these sound close to ascend or axiom?

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
Larry,
I think you should check out the Aperions. They have a 30 day trial period w/free shipping both ways. I recently got their 12"sub and it makes a tremendous difference in HT. so far.

Short story: I was watching the firework scene from the 1st LOTR. My Lady Love came downstairs to the den and asked if it was loud enough. As she left the room she muttered "It's like living next to a theater" I quietly said "Thank you"

BTW Aperion has been having a sale on the Cherrycolored 12" sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks