What's new

Sucker Punch Trailer - WOW! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ That's not surprising. It's a movie made for a very, very small audience. Of course, Warners will wonder how they don't get a return on the $150 or $200 million fetish movie.

I just saw it and there's some enjoyable parts but there's a couple of big things that don't work and derail the movie. The usual Zack Snyder BS slow-mo is on display which sucks. But my biggest problem is that it's a sexploitation movie that also pretends to be a female empowerment movie. I've got no problem wioth either type of movie but when the entire movie is basically "LOOK! HAWT CHICKS WITH GUNS!", you can't also try to act like you're making a movie for the ladies. On the plus side, there's some really good action sequences (the World War I zombie sequence and dragon sequence) and some covers of some great songs (White Rabbit, Search And Destory and Tomorrow Never Knows). I think that this is a movie that some people will LOVE but it's not for everyone. If I was a fan of anime or video games, I probably would have liked it alot more.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I don't care what the word of mouth is, films like these are my favorite. Hopefully seeing tomorrow. "Hot Chicks with Guns" is all I need to enjoy!

I learned my lesson with Skyline, skipped it in the theater because it was so bagged on. Bought the Blu and watched it last night, fantastic film. Watching it again today.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I saw it and liked it, it's pretty much what you think it is going in so if it looks like something you might be interested in then you should like it.

There are some great visuals, action scenes, and excellent music. I don't mind the slow motion but there was a little too much but oh well. Also, hawt chicks with guns.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
A visual splendor that nearly reaches orgasmic heights only to fall short due to a lack of any character backgrounds. Utterly disappointing. **1/2 overall.

As a side note, Zack Znyder is better when he adapts rather than creating an original story. Hopefully, he'll let someone else do the writing for Superman. If not, be very worried.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez

As a side note, Zack Znyder is better when he adapts rather than creating an original story. Hopefully, he'll let someone else do the writing for Superman. If not, be very worried.

I agree 100 percent. Fortunately, the writers behind Nolan's Batman trilogy wrote the Superman script. While I was disappointed with Sucker Punch overall, it made me if anything more confident in Snyder's ability to pull off a great Superman film. Certainly when he has a script with rich character work, like Watchmen, he doesn't neglect that side of it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
While I'm sorta disappointed Duncan Jones or Matt Reeves didn't land the Superman gig, I think Snyder's visuals and Nolan's storytelling skills will complement each other quite nicely. Snyder will help flesh out the film visually and stylistically. Nolan will add cerebral elements. It seems like a great match to emphasize each others' strengths, and strengthen the other's weaknesses.

I do hope the subject matter and the guidance of Nolan lead him to rein in some of his lazier tendencies. He may not have nailed the depth and nuance of Watchmen with complete success, but he sure nailed the grandeur, and that's exactly what Supes needs.

(Although, having General Zod as the main villain basically precludes the possibility of Superman punching giant robots, and goddammit, I want Superman punching robots!!)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
There has never been, nor I bet for a very, very long time to come, a film that defines the word "eye-candy". This film is absolutely amazing, both visually and audibly, it is off the chart. I HIGHLY doubt I will see a more enjoyable film this year. I was grinning from ear-to-ear the entire run time, even though the credits. Be sure not to leave right at the first sign of the credits rolling.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Oh, who...

was that young boy on the ground, in the trenches that one of the girls came in contact with and then again showed up at the end getting on the bus? I cannot figure out what his role in the film was.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
DAMN IT! I left pretty much as soon as the credits started rolling, I knew I should of waited. Spoiler it for me please?

Also, I didn't even think about the boy in trenches and at the end.

My wife went to humor me but she ended up liking it quit a bit.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
It was a music video with Vera and Blue singing, some shots with the other girls all decked out in their lingerie garb singing "Love is the Drug". It was quite sexy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was far from the best film I've seen this year, but I was entertained by it. Sure, it could've been better with some writing changes, but I got what I expected and had a good time at the matinee with it.

I did stay to the very end of the credits as I usually do with any film.

Crawdaddy

WadeLil

Stunt Coordinator
I checked it out sat and really enjoyed it.The way it was layered reminded me a little of INCEPTION.I think a critic sum this movie up best when he says(ITS LIKE A VIDEOGAME U REALLY WANNA PLAY ...BUT CANT.)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I've been turning this film over in my mind. I did enjoy it overall, and I think Snyder has confirmed himself as the best director of action working today--the WWI fantasy in particular was just terrific. But does it hang together as a film? Still unsure.

I want very much to like it (I'm definitely a Snyder apologist), but I'm still not sure how much credit the director deserves for this one. He's clearly trying to deliver something more substantive than a standard action fantasy, but is this film a successful act of narrative subversion of male tastes, or just a half-baked celebration of those tastes that trips over its own lofty ambitions?

I'm not surprised at all that most audiences aren't connecting with it--it lures the adolescent boys (and me, admittedly) in with its promise of fetishized young girls in surrealistic action scenes, and then delivers a reality-bending story of female empowerment and sisterhood that can't possibly satisfy them. Maybe that's the "sucker punch" the title refers to. It cannot really be enjoyed as a "popcorn movie," but at the same time, it's kitchen-sink geek aesthetics will no doubt alienate much of the cineaste crowd.

I'm still not sure why Snyder felt the need to include two levels of fantasy--the dancehall/brothel and the pure fantasy realm. Although I did like the connection between Baby Doll's dancing and the third-level action fantasies, which have a similar effect on the male moviegoers that her dancing does on the male characters in the film. I'm still not sure whether those fantasies are really supposed to be Baby Doll's fantasies, or are instead a purely abstract representation of Baby Doll's supposed erotic pull.

And then rather than deliver the one final nut-busting action sequence to rule them all, the film elects to climax with...

...Baby Doll's decidedly unspectacular second-level sacrifice, in which the only action we get is a single kick to the nuts.

It's a decidedly unsatisfying way to end the film, but is this just a huge narrative miscalculation on Snyder's part, or a deliberate bait-and-switch designed to make the audience members--particularly the males--question their own need for narrative/erotic/violent catharsis? A bit like Eyes Wide Shut, perhaps--a film I admire but don't really enjoy.

I don't know. All I really know for sure at this point is, I want to see the director's cut and its extra 18 minutes, and I want this on blu-ray yesterday.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I really think, and take no offense to this Jefferson, people look way too hard, and in depth at a film like this. It's an eye-candy film at it's best, nothing more, nothing less. Try to just sit back, turn the brain off, have a bucket of popcorn and enjoy the ride. After all, that's all a film like this was meant to be.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
If that were true, Ron, then Snyder would have gone with a more conventional, satisfying ending. As it is, we can endlessly debate exactly what happened and to whom.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I thought the ending was pretty clear cut, sans the spoiler question above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks