What's new

Subwoofer too quiet problem (1 Viewer)

rob2010

Auditioning
Real Name
robin
Hey everyone I finally decided to buy a HDTV and ps3 and want to hook it up to my home theatre. Heres my problem, the subwoofer works but it is very quiet. I changed the speaker size of my reciever to small and that didnt help. I set my peak base volume to +10db and that didnt help either im kinda running dry on ideas.

Heres my current config: Pioneer Eliete VSX 53TX. I have an optical cable running from my ps3 to my reciever and a pre-out from my reciever to subwoofer LFE in (single cable). I set the frequency of the speakers to 80Hz(default).

Any advise would be appreciated thanks!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
This may be stating the obvious, but I assume you've adjusted the gain (volume) control on the back of the subwoofer?

If you subwoofer has left and right coaxial (RCA) inputs, you could try using an RCA splitter from the single output on your receiver, and running both inputs to the subwoofer.

Really, this "shouldn't" make much of a difference, but other users have reported success in boosting their subwoofer output by taking this approach.

Finally, what material are you using to judge the presence (or lack) of LFE? Some things simply aren't mixed with lots of booming bass, and in fact, most television has little to no bass whatsoever.

If you're playing the Blu-Ray of Transformers 2 and not getting any subwoofer action, then you have reason for concern...

rob2010

Auditioning
Real Name
robin
I was testing out inception. I will try using a RCA splitter and see what happens. Also would a notice a huge difference in buying a new reciever with the new audio formats? The sounds seems just as good as before when i was running standard DTS and DD I havent really tested out the new formats. I just wish the PS3 had analog outputs so I can compare.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The lossless audio would offer some measure of improvement, but I don't think it would be a "major" difference on the LFE. Where I noticed the biggest difference was in the clarity of the center channel. Dialog was always a little tough to make out with lossy DD and DTS. Not so with the lossless formats.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
Did you calibrate the sub in any way? Did you run, Auto MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration) with Microphone. Do you have it in "Midnight" mode?

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Hi Robin,

Being an owner of a Elite receiver, I have been through the same sort of thing. Here is where I made a critical error in set-up a long time before I realized it. In your receiver set-up options there is an option called "LFE ATT" which is Low Frequency Effects Attenuation. Go back through your set-up and when you get to that option make sure that it is turned off or set to "0". Attenuation will soften the the base response through the receiver.

Also make sure sure that the SUBWF is set to "on" and that the dynamic compression mode is off by making sure the Midnight mode is not on.

Sometimes using the MCACC will set the SUB volume to a lower level, but it looks like that you already set it to +10dB.

I did all of the above and was rewarded with better Subwoofer performance.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks