What's new

Subwoofer "rumbling" between decibel levels (1 Viewer)

Trmn8tr

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I have a home theater setup with a receiver and subwoofer. The sub "rumbles" (sounds like an earthquake) at certain low decibels. I tested the sub to see when the offensive noise happens, and it occurs with any frequency between 15 and 30 decibels. Under 15 and over 30 and the bass is clean and clear. To fix this, is an FMOD high pass filter the right way to go? Everything I've read about FMODs or hp filters in general says to place it between the sub and the amp, but I don't have an amp in my setup.
Getting to the actual speaker to pad it or anything similar is impossible based on the construction of the sub. Oh, and the model of sub is Sony SA-WMSP75.
Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Based on pictures of that sub on Ebay, I can tell it is tuned much higher than 30hz. Playing anything below the tuning frequency unloads the driver and risks destroying. Since it is a passive sub, you can't use an FMOD either. You would have to design a passive crossover which would cost more than the sub is selling for on Ebay.

Trmn8tr

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Appreciate all the great feedback! So it sounds like I need to invest in a new sub. I have an Onkyo Tx-Sr508 receiver. Any sub you would recommend? Trying to keep it under $250 and not run into this rumbling at low hertz again. Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only subs in your price range worth looking at are all made by BIC.
V1220, F12, RTR EV1200(essentially a version of the F12 for the headbangers crowd) and occasionally the VK12 and PL200.

Trmn8tr

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Thanks big time. I bought the V1220 and don't regret it! This sub is awesome. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks