What's new

subwoofer question (1 Viewer)

Di Ma

Auditioning
Real Name
dmitry
Hi, y'all!
I have a rather stupid question. Here's the thing:
I finally added a sub to my set up, never owned a sub before.( It's a used HSU VTF-2. I know, it's old, but apparently it wasn't used a lot and the price was good.)
Anyhow, I noticed a strange thing. When I pause a movie or a song, the sub still does some humming. I can feel the driver moving. I think it's going on constantly, I just can't hear it from 14 feet away while a soundtrack is playing. Is this normal? Is this a ground loop problem? I'm using a two-prong power cord, I don't have cable. Also, when the LED light is red, before it turns green, there's no hum. This quiet vibrating starts only when the sub gets a signal from a receiver.
Another thing, - the hum gets louder then the crossover switch set to OUT. Then it really bothers me.
Should I be concerned at all? As I said, I don't notice it when I'm watching a movie, just discovered it by accident. You can't hear it from from 3 feet away, only when I touch the driver I can feel it
TIA

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Could be a number of things, and I'm not an expert. But one thing I know that can cause it (because it happened to me) is if you have components of your entire system plugged into a different ground loop. Test this out by running an extension cord for the subwoofer to the exact same outlet your receiver is on, the other speakers, etc.
It's not the likely culprit, but it is a culprit.

Di Ma

Auditioning
Real Name
dmitry
I got everything plugged in a Monster power surge protector - TV, receiver, sub and all the players
So, as I, understand, if I pause a movie the sub should be dead quiet?

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I got everything plugged in a Monster power surge protector - TV, receiver, sub and all the players
So, as I, understand, if I pause a movie the sub should be dead quiet?
It should be, yes. Check your cables. A damaged sheild could cause a hum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks