What's new

subwoofer placement (1 Viewer)

Dobok

Grip
Real Name
Dave
I am in the process of redoing my basement and I am trying to build everything into the walls(just to give ourselves more room),and I have come to my subwoofer.It is a paradigm PS series 10 ' sub.Can i build this into the wall also as it is quite big and heavy and if I can is there any restrictions or not to do's for this setup.I have built in everything else in my setup and was hoping to do this too !!!! Thanks in advance and wondering !!!

Dobok

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I really don't know where to place. One thng I am fairly confident about is that in-wall subs have just recently started to hit the market. This is because of all the sonic aspects of a "typical" wall that can/will affect the performance of the component. Development of commercially available wall mounted subs has yielded a component that looks nothing like the component that sits on the floor.

I think that if you build your current sub in to the wall that the potential for it delivering the adequate LFE is going to be hit or miss at best. Wall cavity depth, spacing of the studs and the wall's height all contribute to the walls inherent sonic characteristics. Assuming that your sub will macth those characteristics is not likely to occur.

A sub will actually perform best when placed in a corner of the room.

Hope I helped.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by mikeabt
A sub will actually perform best when placed in a corner of the room.
This is true most of the time but not always. Every room is different and the best method of placement is the crawl method. You put the sub in your favorite seat and then crawl around on the floor with an SPL meter looking for the location of the loudest response. Yes, it might be a little peaky there but you can tame those response peaks with an inexpensive EQ.

To the OP, if you really want to get the sub out of the room, then look into infinite baffle subs. Since you are building things, you can easily best the most expensive commercial subs without anyone ever seeing a sub in the room. You will need a wall that has a room on the other side though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks