What's new

Subwoofer placement help (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
I am planning on getting either the SVS PB13-Ultra or the JL Audio Fathom f113.

One option for me is the place the subwoofer where the plant is (see the following two pics).

Or I can place the subwoofer where the bookshelf is.

My question is, if I choose the place the subwoofer where the plant is, will being very closely surrounded by sofas have any effect on the subwoofer's performance?

I read that near field placements are better due to the reduction of room modes at the listening position as the bass pressure wave hits your ears before the room boundaries have had a chance to effect the response. Is this true?

What would your recommendation be? Place the subwoofer in place of the bookshelf or should I place it where the plant is?

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
I have a PB-12 as an end table, I like it. doesn't seem to muffle the bass at all.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I would put it on the front wall(that the TV is on) if possible. THX recommends in front near the TV, when using one sub.

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry

yes but with a couch/overstuffed chair combo.

Bass waves are long, this makes them very adept at passing through objects.

you could even turn your sub around so that is is facing the wall and still have great sound.

if you think about it, downward firing subs are a lot like facing your sub to your couch. Downwards fire just a few inched from the ground, but still produce amazing bass.

I would go with the look that makes you happiest.

another reason i like my sub as a end table to my couch is that at quiet volumes, I still feel a bit of the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks