What's new

Subwoofer not woofing! Help (1 Viewer)

cbrown3301

Grip
Real Name
chad
So since the amp is dead, but the sub speaker works ok, how can i hook up my sub to my surround sound without the amp?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You hooked the left front wires directly to the terminals on the sub driver and the sound was better?

Disregard that question. I just noticed page 2.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I assume he means the amp in the sub is dead, cause it did "the same thing" connected to one of his other 5.Choices...Chuck the sub.Buy an external amp from HTD. Since the amp is dead...Remove it entirely (it has screws).Bypass it and run wires into it.If this is an option...The plug from the wall...find where it is internally. Remove it...connect it directly to the driver. Cut the plug off the other end...voila...passive sub.

cbrown3301

Grip
Real Name
chad
Edwin, yes i took the positve and neg wires from my left front speaker and hooked those up to my sub. the sub worked fine just no hard bass due to not enough juice. The sub is a powered sub so the amp is connected to the sub, but with the amp being dead how do I get my sub speaker working again without an amp. I appreciate schan's help but he is way beyond my knowledge level.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, basically he said you can do one of three things.

1) Junk the sub and buy a new one. Frankly, I think this is the best option. There is a BiC F12 selling on Amazon.ca for 193 bucks. It looks like a good sub for the money, since the exact same one is selling for almost 400 on the Canadian Amazon site.

2) You could buy a new amp from the company he is recommending (HTD); however, you should be confident about working on electronics if you want to d that.

3) The third option he mentioned is to remove the power cord where it connects the sub amp. Probably best to take the amp out completely. Take one end of the power cord and connect it directly to the driver terminals. Cut the plug off the other end and then connect your subwoofer wires from the receiver output to the old power cord wires. That would turn it into a passive sub until you decide if you want to replace it.

Is that about right, Schan? Don't want to get any crossed wires.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The other thing you could do is to run wires directly from the sub output to the driver, bypassing the amp completely.

Also I misread his comment about the external amp. I thought he meant to buy a new internal amp and replace the old one. An external amp probably shouldn't be to hard to install. I've never looked at them.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I looked at the HTD external sub amps. It would be pretty easy to hook one up, but the 100 watt amp is 150 bucks on their site. For another 50 bucks, you could get the 475W BIC F12 off of Amazon.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are two connections on the speaker driver that the output wires from the amp would connect to. They look like spades. The output wires from the sub amp would have female connecters that would slide over them.

cbrown3301

Grip
Real Name
chad
so i take the power cord that plugs the unit into the wall and attach that to the sub terminals? The end without the plug is soldered into the motherboard, do I cut that and splice it?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It might help to see some pics. You could cut it and splice it. Not ideal though. The less connections on a wire run the better. The sub connection to your receiver is standard speaker wire?

cbrown3301

Grip
Real Name
chad
Ok, if they load right the first pic is the single cable that connects my sub box to my reciever. the second pic is the wires that connect my sub to the amp that is fried. the third pic is the back of my sub box.
0223142350-00.jpg

0223142352-00.jpg

0223142352-01.jpg

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The cable from your receiver to the sub uses RCA connectors, so now you are looking at splicing the end of that cable to one end of the old power cable, while the other end of the old power cord is attached to the terminals of the driver, as seen in your second pic. Frankly, if you want to do this, the best way would be to attach some speaker wire to the driver terminals then route it outside the box. Then you would attach a female RCA connector to the end of the wire coming out of the sub box and plug your sub cable into it. You would have to determine whether the pin on your sub cable is the positive or the negative terminal on your receiver and make sure that the female RCA connector matches in polarity.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Personally...The HTD amp is your best choice. Why?Step 1 into DIY subwoofer. You will have further options down the road. You could, eventually, buy a better driver from Parts Express. You already have a box. The box is the hard part. When time comes, measure the inside of the box and use that to find drivers that work in that volume of box( calling PE and saying..."hey, I got a box of this volume...I need a driver that works...")

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That box doesn't look half bad.That plate amp side...Is it big enough for a 10" driver?If so, I'd buy a 10" driver, have a hole cut in a slab of wood. Screw/glue it to where the plate amp went. Leave the 8" driver there(unhooked, turning it into a passive radiator)Yank out the port, find a round speaker terminal to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks