Subwoofer making strange sounds

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Christian_R, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Christian_R

Christian_R Extra

Hello friends. I am hoping you guys can help me out.

I have a small living room setup with a Velodyne CHT-8 sub and everything else Paradigm performance series. The sub is making strange "static" noises when dialogue is on. No problems with big explosions or loud humming like spaceship engines. But when there is no bass, it makes a vibrating or clipping sound. I am guessing that I don't have it setup correctly. Any ideas? Thanks

Chris

2. Dan_Fitz

Dan_Fitz Extra

i just got a home theater set up too. I find I have this problem too when there is some bass in teh background. An example of this is in startrek nemesis, when they are on the bridge there is a low humming sound but my subwoofer just kind of rumbled and sounded like shit. I messed with the cross over and the volume on the sub till it sounded ok. Did you try doing that yet.

3. Christian_R

Christian_R Extra

I've tried messing around with all the settings and it still happens. In my case, the bass sounds very good, but when there is no bass and just dialogue I get a "popping" or "crackling" noise. Thanks.

Chris

4. Christian_R

Christian_R Extra

Could it be interference from the appliances? I do have the sub plugged straight into the wall....hmmmmmm

5. Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill Stunt Coordinator

I doubt if this is the cause of your problem, but, my cell phone makes my sub pop and click. If I place the phone farther from the sub it quits. Just a thought.

6. Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson Stunt Coordinator

Maybe it is the interconnect... Is it a crappy one? Are there any power cables touching it?

7. Christian_R

Christian_R Extra

8. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Will it do that if you disconnect the cable from the receiver? If you can try that, it will tell you whether the problem is within the sub or something upstream.