What's new

Subwoofer Help Which one? (1 Viewer)

Hello All,

This is my first post, I read all the time but am finally in need of some advice. I have a B&W 600 series3 6.1 setup consiting of LCR600, 2 603's, 3 600's I haven't completed the setup yet. I've been still using my old outdated subwoofer. Well now it's time to upgrade, My primary choice being the B&W ASW 675, retail $1000. I have to admit I haven't looked into anything else because of the fact that I already have all B&W, So my reason for posting is, Is there anything better for a thousand dollars or should I just stick with the brand I have? This subwoofer will be installed in a 12' by 20' room. With the sub being located to the back half of the room, Space constrainsts of the front prohibit the placement there. Any advice would be greatly apprieciated. Thank you

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
You will do yourself a great service by exploring these offerings:

SVS PB2 Plus...$1199.00

SVS PB2-ISD subwoofer(2-12" woofers with
600 watt built-in BASH amp)...$899.00

SVS 20-39PC+...$825.00

HSU VTF-3...$850.00

I can say that any of the above subs would outperform the B&W ASW 675 by a wide margin.

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator
i just bought a PB2+ and it should arrive REAL soon. i bought this sub sight unseen/unheard simply because on three forums there is NOT ONE negative word concerning these subwoofers. i can't think of any HT equipment other than SVSubs that can claim this, and it's not because there isn't a huge user-base for these subs. just look on other forums and read what other people say about SVS. besides if you don't know anyone with a SVS sub you probably will have to take their word on it since they are only an internet company which means that the local hi-fi shop can't get their greedy little hands on some profit so you get it factory direct. GET ONE...join the club, i did!!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Ditto to what Mike advises. You need not worry about matching a brand of speaker with a like brand of sub. It does not need to be considerd. I am not sure if Mike put his prefrence in order but imo I would consider the top my number one choice and then proceed down. All of these subs would serve you very well though. I run B&W's and my SVS subs dont mind at all. The back 1/2 sub location you speak of can be a very good location also.

Jay McC

Agent
You know everyone in this forum seems to be stuck on SVS and i'm sure their reasons are valid, but you have to make up your own mind. Take five DVDs that really rumble and some music that gives a good mix of drums, synths, organs, and bass guitars and hear for yourself. Everyone's taste in bass is so varied it doesn't seem logical to just discount a viable option because of popular opinion. When i was looking for my sub, i spent weeks at the stores and was heavilly leaning toward the B&W ASW 675. For the looks, money, and output of the beast, it was a top choice for me but i wound up getting the Definitive supercube. I liked the look, the thing is loud and goes way deep, and it did a good job with James Taylor and Dianna Krall. I guess the point is, there is alway something bigger and better and more expensive out there. But if what you want hits all the points that matter then why spend the extra money when it can be put to good use like more DVDs or a new HD decoder box or whatever. If the ASW 675 hits on all points, then go for it. You're the one that has to live with it, right?

Ted_Wern

Agent
I saw this coming........see if you can try out the B&W in your location first as well as some of the others. I noticed that most people here (and don't take this the wrong way) think every sub that is not a SVS is inferior. All I can say is after trying the HSU and the SVS as well as the B&W, I chose the B&W. It was more tight and punchier then the other two. We tried different locations and settings but the end result was the B&W. Asking for advice is good and all but you need more then just people's opinions. You need to try out all the options in your particualar locations. I was lucky enough to have access to the 3 subs I was thinking about. Good luck on your search.

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
I vote for HSU vtf-2 for its m u s i c a l i t y and ease of integration. It truely is a little gem of a sub though it lacks much in spl department compare to today's "monster subs".

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Hi Ted,

After writing my post I too came to the realization that I sound like a broken record regarding SVS and HSU...especially SVS. The only reason this thread caught my interest is that I just finished a HT setup where we compared the ASW675, HSU VTF-3, and the SVS 25-31PC+. These subs were placed in the same position (front corner) and were subjected to many different musical styles, as well as, 2 DVD movie selections (Toy Story2 and the Two Towers.) The room is 15' by 22' with 9' ceiling. The bad part is that the rear of the room opens to the kitchen. We used the "S&V" setup DVD with my trusty SPL meter to make our evaluation as accurate as possible. The B&W ASW675 was the most expensive of the three($1000.00) and considerably smaller in size. I will admit I was biased from the start and did not expect much from this sub. I was shocked...this sub did sound tight with music and deliverd a pretty good punch with the different "bass heavy" movie selections. This sub is probably one of the best B&W subs I have heard! Compared to the other subs,however, I feel the 675 was lacking in "low" bass extension from about 40hz and below. This is exactly the characteristic that leads many to think that a particular sub is tighter with music than another. When a particular sub moves alot of air and "excites" the room...this can detract from a musical experience and sound muddy. This is where proper placement and setup is crucial. The VTF-3 and SVS move more air at lower frequencies and couple with the room and create resonances with walls, windows,etc. With the use of a subsonic filter we were able to get the HSU and SVS to sound more like the B&W...and we did this by reducing their response below 35hz!

The ASW675 is a well made sub that sounds good...but is physically limited by a 10" driver and small cabinet. At this price point I feel you are giving up low end extension for a false sense of musicality.

Ps. If anyone can tell me a company that produces a subwoofer at $1199.00 that outperforms the SVS PB2-Plus...please give me a holler...the silence is deafening!

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator

hmm 1000 dollars for a 10 incher/small cab. what was the cabinet gold plated or something?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Mike> Their doing great. I really am impressed. I have those pics of the big block AV being developed right now and I will send one your way to see what you think. I'm sorry I forgot to take some pics of my HT and SVS set-up. Send me a PM and tell me what your up to now and I will take some more pics.:emoji_thumbsup:

Thank you for all the input, I went to my local A/V shop and he shot me a deal for the ASW 675. Then I heard you guys in the back of my head saying "wait go compare" so I did, I looked @ Definitive Supercube, which I enjoyed but couldn't find a dealer for HSU, and SVS from what I read SVS is an online company. So for one, does anyone have that website. I'm still comparing and my wife is shocked that I went to my store and refrained from buying so thanks for that. I look forward to getting some more info on those other two companies. Thanks for the help
Chris Kampmann

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
couldn't find a dealer for HSU, and SVS
SVS-PB2-Plus subwoofer with (www.svsubwoofers.com)
900 watt built-in BASH amp
(2) 12" woofers
$1,199 (below)
This sub will crush anything remotely close to it's price!!!!

HSU website (www.hsuresearch.com)

You will find the VTF-3...for $850.00. Both these subs will outperform the ASW675 by a wide margin with both music and movies. I think I would spend a little more and spring for the PB2-Plus (above).

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Chris, be sure to check out the Velodyne CHT-15 that should be at your local Circuit City. This sub kicked some serious ass in a recent Sound & Vision review.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Chris, be sure to check out the Velodyne CHT-15 that should be at your local Circuit City. This sub kicked some serious ass in a recent Sound & Vision review.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have had my PB2+ for almost a month now. It replaced dual NHT's that were powered by 120 watts each with I think 9" whoofs in them. There is not even a close comparison. I too looked at all the forums and after talking with Ron at SVS (found him to be a very honest and decent man) I got one sight unseen.. I guess hearing unheard would be a better term huh? Anyway I had a great feeling about it from everything so many folks were saying. Plus you can mix brands on a sub with any speakers and be fine so no worries there. Anyway to put it that I am very happy and pleased is an understatement. This thing kicks butt. I don't know how they do it for the prices they offer. No regreats, this thing will knock stuff off the walls if you want it to with no problem. The only thing I will ever wonder is should I have gotten the PB4. Would have been way overkill even for my big room but I will always wonder. Several here have dual PB2's that can chime in if they wish. One thing for sure is you don't hear of folks not liking their SVS's. Pull the plug.

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator
i bought my PB2+ on reputation alone. it's difficult to find a WHOLE line of equipment that has absolutly ZERO complaints on any of the forums that i'm on. i also have a HK7200 which is a monster receiver but some people still bash it for whatever reason. seems that if you can plug it in there will be someone complaining. besides, SVS's technical support is second to none. you can even return it up to 45 days (your dime of course) and get your money back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks